Skip to main content

I have an 8' by 10' train layout that I have currently set up with Lionel Fastrack. I have an 048 outer loop with a passing siding using 036 switches, and a 036 inner loop as well as a trolley line. I am wondering if it would be a good idea or not to buy 060 curves for the outer loop and move the 048 to the inner loop?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bigboy,

Because we have numerous Tin Plate trains we use 072 FasTrack CC switches, including the WYE's, I try to eliminate as much 036 from my layouts as possibe, running 048 and up. Sure wish FasTrack was made in 042 however, couple places I could really use it.  IMO if you have the space use as much 072 and 060 FasTrack as you possibly can, 048 & 054 are good also, but for my Tin the bigger the better, especially the switches.

PCRR/Dave

The FasTrack Christmas layout with 072 WYE Command Control switches and mostly 048 and wider track.  The inner most oval is 031 RealTrax for running the 2600 Lionel Tin.

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad
Originally Posted by Pine Creek Railroad:
...Sure wish FasTrack was made in 042 however...

So do I!  Would have saved me many hundreds of $$$s in making the switch from FasTrack to a GarGraves/Ross combo on my main layout (a work currently in progress, slowly but surely).   O42 is definitely one of the most logical curvatures for any starter-track type of layout since the vast majority of starter type layouts begin on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Last edited by Allan Miller

Track to see what kind of real estate I give up by going to the larger curve. In this case, you aren't giving up much through the curve. However, you have a slight advantage with O48 when it comes to adding spurs, sidings, etc.

As you can see, you are adding about 6" to each end of the curve. That line just back from each end is where the O48 section would stop. That means full-length sidings will be about 12" shorter and both sidings/spurs will start about 6" further down the layout.

IMHO, the difference in appearance is not that great and may not justify this lost real estate when it comes to what else you plan to add to the layout. With small layouts, I don't get as hung up on appearance as some, but where I think I'll be using tighter curves in the 12'x13' horseshoe design I'm working on, I plan to try hiding them in tunnels, behind buildings, trees, etc. Even if I can't though, my priority is on operation more than the appearance of a steam locomotive, especially the smaller ones I plan to run.

048-060 curves

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 048-060 curves
The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.