Skip to main content

I have my space figured out and have been playing with track plans in RRTrack for a couple of weeks now.  Every time I think I have a great design, something doesn't work right.

With my latest design I was trying to figure in some reversing without having to physically lift and move the engines around.  I am also going to have at least two levels and am playing with the idea of a lower, mostly hidden stagin/yard level which will also serve for a subway.

So I have to wonder, does everyone try to build in some type of reversing or do you just limit yourself and do without?  Operationally I feel it will be necessary and I just can't get it to a point of being aesthetically pleasing for me. That, or i just can't fit it into my scheme.

Anyway, thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thank you.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A wye is handy to turn a train or loco. A loop will work also and depending on what type trains you run it can be a simple switch and O-27 curves. If you run scale stuff it will require O-72 which will take up more room but you can hide it if needed.  Also your overall goals of a layout come into play. Toy layout or High rail realistic type?

I am just starting on a 12x24 layout. I am building it with a scale look. I will have a wye at the yard throat but no 'loop' as such. I like to get 4-6 trains going then just watch 'em. But if you want switching, operating accessories or a more toy 'bowl of spaghetti' that will affect your plan.

Maybe more info on what you want.....

Well, I guess that info probably would help. 

Everything will be scale or scale looking, no toy style features, no postwar style operating features.

I am trying to keep a minimum O72 curve so I can run everything everywhere.  Nothing in my roster requires O72 yet, but some things on the list do for sure.  I will be using Scaletrax, which will also make a difference.

I want to be able to just run trains and watch them run, but be able to do a little switching and moving when I or one of my boys feels the urge.  I have one plan I think will be good, although I don't know that it's as interesting as it could be.  I view so many that I have an interesting look and I am just creative enough on that level.

If you're using ScaleTrax, the wye that takes the least amount of space is a "pinwheel" wye made from three left (or three right) turnouts and additional curves to make a 60-degree arc total off each turnout. I did a two-lap design for another forum member. This layout and wye here is using O-54 track, but could easily be done with O-72 curves and turnouts.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I came up with this, let me know your thoughts.  The purple figure 8 through the middle acts as my revers loop, and passing areas to park trains when not running.  The blue upper section that dead ends to the right is the riser to the second level.  The black lines represent the two main loops, and the green is the station.  Staging will be done underneath.

Last edited by TexasSP

Tex I live in Fort Worth.  I'm in the process of designing a layout for almost the same dimensions as you have.  One of my issues is access to the center and/or a walking aisle around the edge of the layout.  I've pretty much decided to do an open oval.

Do the grey blocks represent industries, or "pop-up" hatches to reach your trains?  How much of an aisle are you leaving around the perimeter?  -Ted

Ted, the gray areas are access except for the one rectangular in the top left which represents where the wall juts out in the section.  I did them like that so I could move them around as I saw need in the design.  Some may be hidden, some not.  The corner access hatches will most likely be open and not hidden.  In the bottom left section the first 6.5' is open as that is the entry into the room, no door.  It's the upstairs game room area.

I and my kids can crawl around quite well so I don't see the access the way I designed it being an issue.  I have run the simulation in RR Track quite a bit and feel comfortable with this setup.  I just don't know if others see something I don't.

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.