Skip to main content

I have two questions about the 175 Ross Crossover:

Is it 0-72 or bigger? I want to make sure I can get any engine through it.

Would it be wise to have a 10" straight when approaching it? Or can I come right out of a curve into the crossover? It would be on a mainline run so I expect to be moving along at a good pace (30-60 smph I suppose).

Beyond that, any thoughts or experiences with it? I have an opportunity to incorporate it into my current track design but I have literally no experience with this sort of track.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BillYo,  check out my video post from 5/16/2020 on the "what did you do..." topic.  It shows a cab view of moving though the switch in both directions. I am not sure I would take it at 60, would you take any turnouts at 60?  I have not had any issues with any of my MTH Premier engines running though it.

If you decide to use it, you may want to consider wiring all the switch motors into a single button operator. I used to have them wired in pairs and realized a single button would work as well.

The switch saves a lot of linear space relative to using 4 turnouts in any combination. I have not had any reliability of the switch itself. Every once in a while one of the dz-2500s decides to move partially causing a derailment.    Jeff

Contrary to what is in RR-Track's library, the RCS 175 is suppose to be based their Regular 11 degree switch.  These are close to O-100.  Even if they were #4s, they would still be okay at O72.

I would have a short straight before the crossover.  The outside curve would be okay but the inside curve would have a pretty bad s-curve for the crossover that some of you larger engines may not like.

Curve into X-over

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Curve into X-over
Last edited by CAPPilot

The train club I recently joined has a 175 on the large, permanent layout.  One of the legs is the end of a grade, and the roadbed on which it is installed is irregular (I'm told) which occasionally creates problems (derailments) when crossing over.  The crossover feature is not utilized all that often and apparently it "works" well enough when engaged that there is not, yet, a push to redo the track work.

I'll need to ask the members who operate large locomotives if the 175 poses any problem for them.

Thanks for the help everyone! The replies made me realize that I cut my teeth on Lionel track and it's "O-" radius listings so I'm pretty well clueless about a #4, 6, 8, switch. I'll have to read up.

This crossover wouldn't be used often on paper but it would come in handy when breaking down longer consists and that's what has me considering it.  The right side would be attached to curves measuring 0-99 or 0-108. The left side would just be straight. As @CAPPilot pointed it, I am concerned about the S curve situation. Articulated engines and lashups would be pulling coal drags over this.

I'll look up the video @ScoutingDad. And sometimes I do get the need for speed haha but blasting through that thing at 60 is probably a non-issue because it would be going straight.

If you're comfortable doing it, make your own with 4 #5s and a 22.5 degree crossover by splicing the rails of the switches into the crossover. Its wouldnt be that hard to do, and would enable you to "flip" the switches on the inside track so you send the straight leg of the switch through the crossover, rather than the diverging leg. The main line proceeds through the diverging leg, thereby eliminating your S curve problem. It will make your curve a fair bit bigger, as, while a numbered switch has a "radius", what it really has is an angle, a slight bend, and another angle. The tracks diverge in straight lines, not an O-XX switch that is a curve replacement.

If you have a dremel, some patience and a bag of track spikes, fiddling ross switches into whatever arrangement you need is a pretty easy and worthwhile endeavor.

Last edited by Boilermaker1
@ScoutingDad posted:

I am not sure I would take it at 60, would you take any turnouts at 60? 

I might take that one at 60. It looked really smooth!

I think I'm going to go with it. Flipping a switch around won't work because I'm coming from an 0-99 curve. I'm stuck with that because of space for the time being. I'm going to work on the current track plan and get my industries located. The industries might dictate a need for more space and that will open me up to changing the curve.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.