Skip to main content

Revised the 1957 Super-O Catalog Layout with Atlas-O.  Added return loops and modest grades.  Roughed-in.   Continuing the design discussion from this FasTrack thread: FasTrack Layout.

Easier to do with Atlas-O, looks like a better layout in a few ways (more wider diameter track).  I was able to squeeze-in one more yard track.  I added a small tunnel on the high line on the far right.

Turnouts are O54, except on the small O36 loop, and the #5 cross-over at the top of the layout.

1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v1c

1957LayoutV1c

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 1957LayoutV1c
  • 1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v1c
Last edited by Ken-Oscale
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What if, instead of having a bridge over the yard, that track is on a ridge and the turn below is in a tunnel? Would have to shorten the yard a bit, but the mountain right now feels a bit forced, so that might be more natural. Literally changes nothing, just how I'd do it.

Burkus, it gets tighter toward  the top, where the lower loop curves to go left.  Fit problems.  But interesting.  Would eliminate grade issues.  BUT, then it is no longer a version of the 1957 Catalog layout, its is something else.

If I was to build: this version.  O54 outside loop and trestle over the yard.  Mainline turnout minimum is O54.  O54 locomotives can reach and work the yard.  The inside route is O45 (running O42).  Max grade is 3.5%.

Deleted the inside O36 loop, a departure from the catalog layout.  The loop now uses O45 curves and O45 turnouts.

1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v2a

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v2a

Here is a layout build video with trains running, but using Ross track and turnouts:  Cool!  The platforms are expanded to 6' wide to accomodate O64/O54, and the layout expanded to 9' x 16' space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmWLmHJHnuY

Here is the last Atlas-O version that I worked on back in 2020:

1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v3e

Keith's Build:

Keith'sBuild [2)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 1957Catalog_Updated_M914LA_v3e
  • Keith'sBuild (2)

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by