Skip to main content

I am working on a layout that can only be 4'x8' because space is limited. The layout I have is kind of boring because I need a lot of flat areas for my **** village. I am open to suggest on how I can make this more exciting or improve my layout, it's just an oval. I do have some tunnels. Ideally I would like to have multiple levels, but anyhow my main reason for this post is I need to be able to break it down after the season so that I can put it in storage. Any suggestions on how I can do this and still have my layout attached. I plan I using the woodland scenics products to make it look as real as possible.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Christmas layout is 39 inches by 9 feet.  It has most of the village on an upper level. 

The layout breaks down into 4 sections.  The lower level breaks into two halves each 39"x54".  The frame is made from 1"x4"s and uses 1"x3"s on 18" centers.  The two frames then bolt together and then I bolt on 2"x4" legs.  The upper level is two halves each 27"x54".  The frame for the upper is made out of 1"x2"s and also uses 1"x2"s on 18" centers.  The upper level uses 12" inch 2"x2" legs that then bolt onto the frame of the lower level.  The frames are light weight enough that my wife was able to get them all out last year by herself while I was away on a work trip.  I was afraid I would not have time to get the layout out and setup last year.  But when I got home she had the layout out and tree up.  I was thrilled.

My track is screwed down after I put down the felt (snow).  The felt is used to hide the seems of the plywood.  This year I plan to add a cliff face or retaining wall between the 2 levels.  I also added a switch on the lower level so that I could switch between two trains.  On the upper level I have a point to point street car.  This year I am adding Z stuff DZ1220 auto reversing controller so that I could use and MTH PCC streetcar or a short commuter passenger train.  

Here is a picture and a video of the results.

-Ryan 

IMG_0483[1]

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0483[1]
Videos (1)
IMG_0778[1]
Originally Posted by Salvagni:
BadHorse that layout looks like fun, but I would like for there to be some flat terrain areas so that i can display some houses. 

Originally Posted by BadHorse:

heres an action packe layout that fits on 4x8!

4x8 Fastrack Elevated 8

take the blue loop out, and the elevated, then make a hill with tunnels, and presto! mountain village and lots of fun!

Hmm ok i think i see what your saying where would you put the mountain and tunnels?  would you elevate any track?

Originally Posted by Salvagni:
BadHorse that layout looks like fun, but I would like for there to be some flat terrain areas so that i can display some houses. 

heres an action packe layout that fits on 4x8!

4x8 Fastrack Elevated 8

take the blue loop out, and the elevated, then make a hill with tunnels, and presto! mountain village and lots of fun!

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.