Skip to main content

Help!  I am experiencing a weird problem.  I am trying to run my old Pullman coach cars 2421, 2422, 2423, 2429 over the switch and the cars are uncoupling over the frog part of the switch.  The cars have the old magnetic type coupler-there is no mechanical portion of these couplers. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is likely happening because the shoe is making contact with the center rail on the switch. First, check that the uncoupler shoes on the passenger car trucks are in good order (no chips or rivets hanging out, and that the shoe is mounted and sprung properly).

Once the trucks look good, go take a look at your switch and with power, slowly move the offending car(s) over it. You will likely observe the point of contact. I would wager it is the rivet (actually stud) that holds the center rail.

There are many ways I have heard of people resolve this from careful use of ball-peen  hammer, dremel, file, sanding or replacing the rivet (actually, it's a stud, postwar part O22-14). However, usually people forget that the bottom of that stud as a screw that may work loose due to vibrations, so I would try that first:

See the exploded diagram here: http://www.olsenstoy.com/cd/swt/stc022e.pdf

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.