Skip to main content

I'm seeking opinions on the below track plans that iakobos has been helping me with via email.  They are for an 8'x16' tabletop Fastrack layout.  Even with my fairly limited space I'd like to keep my curves as large as possible to keep my locomotive options open as possible. 

Jody1

This design "Jody1" uses an O84 outer loop with an O72 inner.  The switches are O36 and this is a concern of mine.  I like the three spur "yard" but I'm wondering if I will regret the tighter switches?

Jody2

This design "Jody2" is also an O84 outer and O72 inner loops and no switch or curve is less than O60.  I like this because the larger locomotives can go anywhere on the layout.

Jody3

This design, "Jody3" like the others has the same outer loops but we are back to the O36 switches.

The layout is a walk around type with only the left short side against a wall.

Maybe iakobos could add something that I may have missed.  I want to thank him for all of his advice and help.  He has been very patient with this "newbie"...

So what do you guys think?  Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.  Please give me you input, I need it!! 

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Jody1
  • Jody2
  • Jody3
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A few comments about the switch diameters. 

Jody1 has O36 switches only on the three parallel spurs.  The switches on the inner and outer loops are O72 and O60.  Jody's and my concern is how bigger engines rated for wider diameter curves would handle backing a set of cars into the O36 switches.  Neither one of us have anything that big and would like some input from anyone who has tried it.

Jody2 should accommodate any size locomotive anywhere on the layout.  It's not Jody's preferred layout because he really likes the three parallel spurs.

Jody has indicated Jody3 is his favorite but only the crossovers from the inner to outer loop are O72.  The three spurs and the four switches that allow the train to reverse direction are O36.  This one is obviously more limiting for larger engines but how much?

IMO the bigger radius' the better, my biggest regret is not going bigger than my o-60 maximum. Adding insult to injury the last place you want to go with a smaller radius( if you can help it) is with turnouts. O-36 turnouts are tight, and will prevent you from having the option of being able to park any larger steamers in the yard you'll be forced into taking them on and off the layout. Larger radius' always allow for trains to run smoother. Having yard spurs farther apart and in separate areas gives you more space for industries at different destinations for your railroad to service, it needs a purpose. Putting all of your spurs close together limits the "operating interest" in your layout to just one spot. I like "Jody 2", the main part of my layout is 8x16 I'd consider that plan in a heartbeat if I were to do it over. Having said all of that, good luck and have fun no matter what type of track plan you choose!

My personal preference with the Jody 1 or 2 plan would be to add a double-ended siding or two inside the right-hand curve, even if it is a tighter radius, so you can park a full train there. Not every engine will need the widest radii, will it? Then fit in spurs somewhere else; the switches for spurs don't all have to accomodate the biggest engines. The table is really wide so you might want access hatches in there. Maybe fit in an elevated O27 line in the middle of the table for variety. My two cents worth.  

You're lucky to have that much space available! Also good to have access on three sides, including both long sides.

Sure thing, feel free to use it.  The plan is to start construction of the layout after the first of the year.  Some other projects have slowed down the progress on this.  Thanks for asking.

Originally Posted by Greg Brown:

george, I like your track plan so much that I would like to use it as my own. have you completed Jody 2 or any of the plans you submitted? Let me know . I have further questions regarding this layout plan, greg brown

George, I will be constructing my layout in the same time frame as yourself. Do you use 072 switches or 060 or a combination of both? I am thinking about using foam board over half inch plywood. I have never built a large layout with so many switches. I am using mth dcs system and I need to get an aiu unit and track down a 45 degree crossover which are hard to find presently. Any books or videos that will help with the wiring of such a layout? Any info you can give me will be helpful. Thanks for your positive reply, Greg

My personal little input:

Jody two, or that Fastrack plan that was submitted will operate the best.  The wider the radius, the less trouble.  If you really want to have a three track yard on Jody2, the two track yard can be made a three track yard by adding a spur to the longest of the two yard tracks (also the innermost track). and assuming that the straight sections are between 10 and 12 inches long, three or four cars could still be parked on each track.

Just a thought, James W.

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.