Skip to main content

Untitled-2

I've been running trains on this track configuration for about a month now. Everything seems to be fine, so I'm going ahead with scenery. The track is O27 profile with O42 curves in most places and will be detailed to look more realistic. Switches are a pair of smooth, 65-70 year old 1024s. 

The setting will be rural, and most of the structures and trees will be made from scratch. Scenery is the main emphasis of the layout, and the trains' main purpose is to be an excuse for me to model terrain and buildings.

The O27 track is much quieter than the FasTrack used on my previous layout. I'm hoping that will still be the case after ballasting is completed.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Untitled-2
  • Untitled-2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Scenery...I like that. Scenery is my specialty...and ties a lot of the train scape together. Re vegetation, when you think you have enough...double it. I don't know why everyone is so afraid to add foliage to their layouts. Looking forward to your progress and remember...have fun.

Yea, maybe a connection from the red line to blue...if you want. If you had a valid reason for separate line what you want rules. Only you know how to run your railroad.

Originally Posted by PatKelly:

Yea, maybe a connection from the red line to blue...if you want. If you had a valid reason for separate line what you want rules. Only you know how to run your railroad.

On the contrary, I can not think of a valid reason to connect the two loops. If connecting them only allows a chop choo to run 6 inches inside or outside the same route it's already on, what's the point? By not having switches on the outer loop, I am able to run anything and everything without derailments. The inner loop has switches so that I can run the trains up behind the structures, or down close to the station to add smoke fluid or rolling stock. 

Originally Posted by William 1:

I like that kind of party.  Great game plan.  Have fun with your scenicking.  I am in the camp that the scenery and the terrain that the trains operate in is more important than prototypical operations or a boxcar with all the right rivets.  Go for it.

That's my perspective as well. I've never been interested in prototypical operations. The scenery is where it's at.

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.