Skip to main content

Hello all,

I've pretty much finalized the layout track plan, but am now working on the benchwork plans. I have available to me at ZERO cost old hardwood bleachers that are approximately 1" thick (oak I believe) which can be cut and sanded at no extra cost. Otherwise I would be looking at 1/2" birch, but this sounds like potentially a great opportunity for cost savings with my build. 

Is this total overkill? Pros? Cons? Total layout is 5'x11' with a 5'x5.5' addition on the right side at the front to form an "L". 

I plan on adding Homasote, cork or something else on top of it.

Any thoughts would be terrific. Thank you!

Matt

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hot Water posted:

Another thought about very aged/old oak planks; you better have a VERY good set of high quality METAL cutting drill bits for drilling holes for wiring, etc.. Also, I can't imagine the trouble you would encounter trying to screw other pieces of wood to that old oak, i.e. probably pop the heads right off the screws trying to tighten them.

Great point! I guess sometimes free ISN'T always for me. Haha. Back to the birch idea!

Dave Zucal posted:

Definitely use it for your bench work framing, but avoid using it for the deck under your track. Oak will change its shape (warpping and twisting) as it becomes acclimated (moisture equalization) to its new environment.

If it's properly dried, oak is very stable - far more so than pine from the lumberyard.  Any wood should be allowed to acclimate to its environment before using.

With oak, you will need to pre-drill for every fastener.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.