Skip to main content

Trying to come up with something interesting for a 20 x 10 ft room. Only wants is a double main with min O72. 

Would you go around the wall with a lift bridge or a walk in?

bottom right are steps down into the room.

Bart

Ok moved it to in reach

Bart2

Bart-3

Attachments

Images (6)
  • Bart
  • Bart2
  • Bart2
  • Bart2
  • Bart2
  • Bart-3
Files (2)
Last edited by Patrick H
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Patrick, nice job on the dual oval with embedded figure-8 and wye, and thanks for posting the rrt files. I'm going to play with that some to see if I can adapt it to my 10x17 space with a 4x4x5 wedge cut off one corner. If it were me though I'd move the double crossover to the stair side for easier access in case of problems. Even with a lift out bridge to walk in the left side, it looks like an access hatch will be needed for the right side.

Hi Patrick,

I like the first one you had, but here is a simple sketch that has a double track main line, but uses an elevated larger bridge to give the walk in, and provide a cross over .

Kind of a figure eight.

I saw this in another layout, and really liked the look on scenic as it had some nice impact with the larger bridge.

track plan

Attachments

Images (1)
  • track plan

Hey Patrick - 

This one follows the idea of Rich's sketch and is very close to my first O-Gauge layout. I like grades and double mains, but I had never used Gargraves of RCS track (RR-Track file attached). The outer curves are Ø80 and the inner Ø72, which may be a bit too close at 4" spacing. I used Atlas Ø108 and Ø099 (4-1/2" spacing) on my present layout, but that takes more room.

Anyway, the grades as shown are 2.3% and 2.5%, and the rise is 6 inches. You can add additional turnouts, etc. to suit your taste.

For Patrick 01

Just my 2¢.

Alex

Attachments

Images (1)
  • For Patrick 01
Files (1)
Originally Posted by Ingeniero No1:

Hey Patrick - 

This one follows the idea of Rich's sketch and is very close to my first O-Gauge layout. I like grades and double mains, but I had never used Gargraves of RCS track (RR-Track file attached). The outer curves are Ø80 and the inner Ø72, which may be a bit too close at 4" spacing. I used Atlas Ø108 and Ø099 (4-1/2" spacing) on my present layout, but that takes more room.

Anyway, the grades as shown are 2.3% and 2.5%, and the rise is 6 inches. You can add additional turnouts, etc. to suit your taste.

Just my 2¢.

Alex

Thanks Alex, much appreciated!

Like banjoflyer's suggestion, as a relative noob and building a L this year, I have become a fan of the folded dogbone. No ducks and allows for great viewing. The design is flexible to fit many size areas. Retains people space. A double isolated main could give you four tracks in the center. Lends itself to modular style construction.

Peninsulas can be added for expansion. see New Layout progress as a recent example.

Impressions from a noob.

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.