Skip to main content

Hello All. You guys have convinced me to stay away from fasttrac due to noise so I will be using O gauge track and accessories I have for my layout. I did some browse here and I the Internet for ideas and came up with one design. I will post it at the end. I am open to any and all suggestions for a 4x8 layout. Below is a list of track, switches, and accessories that I have.

Track and Switches (all O gauge) and transformer

39 - 42 inch curves

16 – 31 inch curves

Plenty of 10 inch straight

1 – 020 crossing

Left and right 022 switches

Left and right 5122 switches

ZW 275 watt transformer

Accessories (all post and pre-1960)

Banjo Signal

Highway Signal

145 Gateman

445 Switch Tower

450 Signal Bridge

Milk car and platform

Cattle car and gates

Passenger station

Plasticville

Train station

Water tower

Police department

School

House

Trains and Cars

1 set of prewar locomotive, whistle car and 2 cars

1 set of post war (1954) locomotive, whistle car and many cars

Below is the mock up I did using the 42 inch curves. One side is for a city setting and the other for a train yard setting. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20220825_135640 - Copy: layout mock up
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I built a 027 4x8 several years ago. First thing I will say is that it's hard to fit a up and down grade in such a small space. The grades are too steep for anything without magna-traction. I did it, and then undid half of it. A separate upper loop would work of course.

I also planned to install several operating accessories but gave up after I saw how much space many need so plan accordingly.

As a charter member of the 48 Club I'd say you are in good company. Check out our thread for more ideas.

Bob

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.