Skip to main content

Introducing the Watkins City Block!

Evoking the charm and simplicity of yesteryear, the O Gauge Watkins City Block provides a snapshot of a small yet lively city block. Rich with Midwestern roots, you’ll find two iconic companies operating side by side. Founded just 25 miles apart, the J.R. Watkins Company began in 1868 (Plainview, MN) by distributing homemade remedies while the first Red Owl store opened in 1922 (Rochester, MN), selling groceries to families.

Take a gander at this detailed display and soak up the small-town mindset. Watch as two children eagerly await a ride on a coin-operated horse outside of the market. Or catch a glimpse of a man who’s mailing a heartfelt letter to his sister in Chicago while he’s accompanied by his beloved German Shepherd, Jack.

On the outdoor terrace, three attorneys (with the sprightly names of Dewy, Cheatum and Howe) celebrate another victorious litigation with the finest Cuban cigars in hand. After all, these lawyers are used to bending the truth a little. But then again so is Auntie Agatha. On her way over to Grandpa’s house, she can be seen leaving the Red Owl® grocery store with her “prize-winning” fresh-baked apple pie. It looks like Auntie Agatha has some explaining to do.

Prebuilt, prelit and ready to go! Every inch of this bustling city block has something going on, including 9 figures (7 adults & 2 children) going about their everyday lives. The exterior of this structure is beautifully lit by over 30 LED lights, which is highlighted by two prelit Red Owl® and J.R. Watkins® signs. Additionally, the interior of the apartments above the J.R. Watkins® store glow softly through frosted windows. The Watkins City Block lights with the addition of a 4.5-volt adapter (sold separately, Menards SKU# 279-4061, 4062).

Watkins City Block (279-3970) Shop Now!

Plus, get a FREE O scale ambulance when you buy any O gauge train item $19.99 or higher! Offer ends April 15, 2017. While supplies last. In the event we run out, we will substitute a free 9-pack of trees (279-3094).

IMPORTANT: You MUST add (1) Ambulance (SKU# 279-3498) to your online shopping cart for every qualifying O gauge train item you wish to purchase. Ambulance will be subtracted as part of the checkout process. 

Shop now!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I like the building. Great idea two stores. However, I do not need two Red Owl stores. A Post Office, a hardware, a drug store, a appliance store, a clothing store, a 5 and 10 or a bakery would of been nice. If one of the buildings had to be a super market another name could of been, Red Lion, Kroger, Thorofare, A. and P., Piggly Wiggly, Safeway, Wegmans, Food Fair, Grand Union or Big Bear.

Last edited by jim sutter

Already ordered. Already anxious for it to arrive.

For those who have the original Red Owl building and don't want another, it's a pretty quick conversion. Just change the store sign on the city block version. I like the idea of a 5-and-10 or a variety store. Even a candy store (which would make sense with that red-and-white awning).

But this block of buildings seems more versatile to me than the Red Owl supermarket building, which was based on a 1950s store. This new release can date back further, into the 1920s.

Looks like my Midwestern downtown is going to have a flavorful spice shop, at the least. Not surprised by the Watkins selection, by the way, since Menards sells the famous spice, soap and scent brand -- with a very eye-catching aisle display in Menards' Waukesha store.

Jim R. posted:

Already ordered. Already anxious for it to arrive.

For those who have the original Red Owl building and don't want another, it's a pretty quick conversion. Just change the store sign on the city block version. I like the idea of a 5-and-10 or a variety store. Even a candy store (which would make sense with that red-and-white awning).

But this block of buildings seems more versatile to me than the Red Owl supermarket building, which was based on a 1950s store. This new release can date back further, into the 1920s.

Looks like my Midwestern downtown is going to have a flavorful spice shop, at the least. Not surprised by the Watkins selection, by the way, since Menards sells the famous spice, soap and scent brand -- with a very eye-catching aisle display in Menards' Waukesha store.

I agree! Surely a conversion would not be too hard! I think a hardware store or general store sign would be pretty cool.

Hi Mark,  need your reply if your time permits.  I need the amps drawn from each of the following building.  Can't find the specs on the elect. power needs for Menards building.  Well hidden.  The three building are:

New Salt Mine

Am Power and Light

Old 1950's gas station

Mark I don't want to run 120v under my layout

Best regards

Tommy

thebeeman posted:

Hi Mark,  need your reply if your time permits.  I need the amps drawn from each of the following building.  Can't find the specs on the elect. power needs for Menards building.  Well hidden.  The three building are:

New Salt Mine

Am Power and Light

Old 1950's gas station

Mark I don't want to run 120v under my layout

Best regards

Tommy: Mark is out of the office till Monday.. Bob

cabinet Bob posted:
rrman posted:

Has the 4.5V power supply issue been resolved, ie regulated switcher, or still old transformer/diode/cap ones?

Yes the new ones are in stock. They do measure the perfect voltage for their  buildings. Bob 

Great! Will have stock up on them and heave ho the old ones into my electronics junque bin.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.