Skip to main content

If you have an old P/W lighting tower and need to replace a bulb or two, you've probably been frustrated that you couldn't find them or if you did, the dealers were asking $3 each.   They have been reproduced and are now available on Amazon.com from  LightBulbsInternational.com. They will cost you $1.20 each for a package of 10 (including shipping) so it makes it easy to fix old Lionel lighting equipment at a fair cost.  Note the #12 bulbs are 6V. There is also the #19   12V 2 pin bulb used on old Lionel  signals. That too has been reproduced.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wonder who decided to start producing these bulbs. GE only made that configuration in a total of four different bulbs, one of which has a larger globe. Lionel made use of two, and continued using them long after GE declared them obsolete.
I am familiar with Lionel's use of two pin based bulbs. I wonder where else they were used.

C W Burfle posted:

I wonder who decided to start producing these bulbs. GE only made that configuration in a total of four different bulbs, one of which has a larger globe. Lionel made use of two, and continued using them long after GE declared them obsolete.
I am familiar with Lionel's use of two pin based bulbs. I wonder where else they were used.

From what I understand these 2 pin bulbs were used on old tube radios and old automobile radios. Then Lionel adopted them to RR signals, signal bridge and the floodlight towers (but different voltage here) .  For many years they were unavailable now our friends the Chinese started making them again.  AFAIK there are only two versions available now  #19 bulb is 12V while #12 is 6 volts. Both found on Amazon or at NAPA as BMORAN indicates.

From what I understand these 2 pin bulbs were used on old tube radios and old automobile radios.

The other 2 pin bulbs were (source: GE bulb catalog):

#10 - G 3-1/2  2.5 volts, .5 amps, 3000 hrs
#15 - G 4-1/2 7.0 volts, . 4 amps, 500 hrs

The bulbs Lionel used:

#12 - G 3-1/2, 6.3 volts, .15 amps, infinite life
#19 - G 3-1/2 14.4 volts, .10 amps, 1000 hrs

Don't know about their use in tube radios or automobile radios. My experience with tube radios is limited. I have no experience with automobile radios at all.

I have seen GE literature describing them as being well suited for hi temperature applications. The literature also recommended the #12 for applications where extremely long life bulbs were desired to avoid maintenance.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.