Skip to main content

I have about 20 Atlas switches on my layout.  Currently they are powered by the 14 VAC terminal on my Z4000 transformer.  When I turn on all the building/accessory lights, the switches operate somewhat sluggishly as apparently there is too much for the transformer to handle.  This is even though only one switch at a time is operated!  (Atlas recommends 18 volts for these switches)  I notice that Lowes/Home Depot as well as others sell a 16 Volt Ac Transformer.  If I change the wiring so that only the switches get power from the "door bell" transformer (which is what these 16 volt AC transformers are used for) will this work?  Just curious if anyone has tried this yet, and if so, with what result.  Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I use a landscape transformer to power my Atlas switches.  I plug it in my power strip and the wiring terminals are enclosed.  I suggest that you consider the use of one. If you are electrically adept you could use what I assume is a doorbell transformer you reference which would need wiring in an electrical box power pulled from somewhere. 

The "Nutone bell transformer arrived!  I checked the output voltage, which is supposed to be 16 volts AC.  It is not.  I measured 18.7 volts AC with my Fluke meter. (No load on the output terminals....as the Atlas switches would only provide a load, when activated to throw the switch)   Is this too much for the Atlas switch coils?  What do I need to get the voltage closer to 16 volts?  I don't want to harm the Atlas coils.  Thanks.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.