Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On my layout, I use Rca (phono) plugs and jacks for all accessories.  No shorting issues.

The Shack sells a board with 8 rca jacks ... I connect all tips together and all shells together and then hook to my accessory power supply.

I have about 7or 8 of these 8jack boards under the layout...works great! ...and every accessory is easily unplugged and moved.

3/8 hole in the plywood is ok for feeding wires with plugs thru.

Ed

Department 56 buildings are mentioned, but I'm hoping the application is meant as something other than the stock 120VAC lighting if you were to use Phone plugs?

I'm not sure where to look up the specs for these, (didn't see voltage rating on the Radio Shack site), but I'd be really careful with any decisions if you are still using the 120VAC bulbs.

Just a thought.  Maybe someone can indicate what the standard rating on an 1/8" phone plug is.

-Dave

If I were hooking up like this I'd replace the lights with LEDs and run low DC volts around the layout.

Much safer than AC strewn about.

See the EVAN Designs link above for a good source.

Some folks are buying the LED tape strips for low prices, these take a bit more know how to wire up. You have to make a low voltage source for them.

Can I guess the reason you are trying for small connectors is so you don't need to drill large holes in the table?  I'm not sure why else you would be considering such small connectors like phone or RCA.  It frankly sounds very dangerous.  Note most other replies are referring to using the referenced plugs for their train accessories or lights, not for 120 Volt bulbs.

For both RCA or phone, you'd have a heck of a challenge even fitting the twin conductors of  a 120 V lamp type cord inside the shell, much less safely connecting the wires.  Definitely need to be extra careful with the 120 AC.

If you are really set on doing something along these lines, you might be much better off with something like these:

males  females 

Note these specifically are made for heavier gauge wire (the above 2 say #10 - #14)  and can handle higher voltage and current (a single 6 watt C-7 bulb seems well within their design parameters).  There is a similar product made for slightly smaller wire and lower current (here).

-Dave

I was not aware that you were talking about 120v.   I would NOT use RCA plugs for 120v.

My accessories are all on a separate transformer set  for about 13.5 volts.  Works great as described... I would convert the lights in the dept 56 bldgs to 12v incandescent or led, THEN use RCA connections!

Ed

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.