Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Martin H:

I have a DCC system.  If I wanted to run a loco strictly DC (ie one with no electronics in it), can I use an old-school Tyco gold transformer?

I just want something I can test out non-dcc locos with.

If it is H.O. that transformer should work well. If it is larger then H.O. that transformer may not work well as it don't have enough power(in my opinion) to run a 2 rail O scale engine.

Lee Fritz

I have a DCC system.  If I wanted to run a loco strictly DC (ie one with no electronics in it), can I use an old-school Tyco gold transformer?

That thing is only 6 watts. You should have at least 30 watts or more, preferably 50 or more. 90 watts or more if you actually want to run the train. Get an AC transformer, postwar or newer, and put a bridge rectifier on the output.

Last edited by RoyBoy

I missed the 60 VA.   Yes that is pretty light weight.    At 12 Volts, you are going to get only 1/2 amp.    That is plenty sufficient for new locos and HO for testing, but not so much for older stuff and "good" Pittman motors in O Scale.

If you divide the VA rating by the amps you draw, you get the available voltage without overload.    So 6 divied by 12 is .5.    Now if you put a loco on it that draws 2 amps, you are only going to get about 6 volts.  

These are estimates but should be close.

You can use this on your test bench, just be aware of what you are  using.    It will let  you test the mechanisms in most cases, but will be too light to run trains as mentioned above.   

Originally Posted by phillyreading:

If it is H.O. that transformer should work well. If it is larger then H.O. that transformer may not work well as it don't have enough power(in my opinion) to run a 2 rail O scale engine.

Lee Fritz

For what it's worth,I have an MRC Tech2 HO Transformer & it'll run 2 Atlas Gp15s.

Al Hummel

That HO pack puts out DC, O Scale trains run on DC.   It will provide enough power to test most things, especially any new ones on the bench.

I assume the purpose is just to test locos on the bench or a short stretch of track.

My MTH and Weaver 2 motor locos all draw less than one (1.0) amp at 12 volts.    the Atlas stuff draws more and would run slowly.   the old Weavers with the single Pittman draw closer to 2 amps and would run real slowly with that pack.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.