Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Matt,

Just some thoughts...  First, maybe hope for a reply from another owner of an Atlas 2-Rail version and see what Atlas used from the factory and then just copy it.  Secondly, since these are articulated cars, then don't count out the fact that the prototype most likely used a combination of truck sizes, 100-Ton or 125-Ton (38" wheelsets) trucks at the articulation point to straddle the weight of the two cars on a single truck and then used the lighter (70T) trucks on the ends.  This doesn't necessarily mean that Atlas did this on their 2-rail models and may have just opted to use their modeler's license and kept all the trucks the same for simplicity.  For curiosity, I should check my Atlas Gunderson stack cars and see what they did there, I believe the prototype used 70T trucks at the couplers and 100T or 125T trucks at the articulation depending on the load rating.  My gut-feel is that Atlas just used the same truck rating throughout (probably 100T trucks) but you never know, I could be surprised…. 

Originally Posted by Scott Kay:

Hi Matt,

Just some thoughts...  First, maybe hope for a reply from another owner of an Atlas 2-Rail version and see what Atlas used from the factory and then just copy it.  Secondly, since these are articulated cars, then don't count out the fact that the prototype most likely used a combination of truck sizes, 100-Ton or 125-Ton (38" wheelsets) trucks at the articulation point to straddle the weight of the two cars on a single truck and then used the lighter (70T) trucks on the ends.  This doesn't necessarily mean that Atlas did this on their 2-rail models and may have just opted to use their modeler's license and kept all the trucks the same for simplicity.  For curiosity, I should check my Atlas Gunderson stack cars and see what they did there, I believe the prototype used 70T trucks at the couplers and 100T or 125T trucks at the articulation depending on the load rating.  My gut-feel is that Atlas just used the same truck rating throughout (probably 100T trucks) but you never know, I could be surprised…. 

Thanks I had thought that might be the situation with that car as the well cars I've seen are 100-ton at the ends and 125-ton at the articulation points. Really just needed a verification of what Atlas used.

Originally Posted by daveb:

Hi Matt,  I had some of these in 2 rail version when they first came out. I can't recall anything special about the wheels, IIRC they were the common Atlas 2 rail trucks. They did work fine on 42 inch radius and didn't look too bad bending around the curves....DaveB

Thanks Dave. I think I remember your layout. Around-the-walls as I recall with a lift-out for access. Definitely the approach I want to take if I get a layout space.

"Around-the-walls as I recall with a lift-out for access. Definitely the approach I want to take if I get a layout space."

Hi Matt, I kinda miss that O layout and it was actually not that big of space, about 15.5 feet by 9.5 feet. I have had a few different layouts in that room since then, have an N scale layout partially built right now.  It's surprising how much modeling one can get from O scale in that space even using modern equipment, actually would keep me pretty busy building and operating it so I'd say start building to anyone who has that much room .....DaveB

Originally Posted by Engineer-Joe:

I really do have some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...xZM9pcZwOpkZrcdHggpg

I just have to unpack them all!

I never build anything big enough to hold everything!! (car yard is jammed full)

That looks so cool! I have about a dozen MTH autoracks I'm going to switch over to Kadees and scale wheels. They'll go nicely with the Atlas units.

Engine Joe, Looking at your photo of a portion of your layout it looks just like mine down to the same Walthers 2 buildings. This month I cut a big piece of flat plastic cardboard to represent a large storage warehouse facility to cover the wall too. i do need to find a door and stairs and make some drains off the roof. It is a cheap  project but so are tilt up warehouses. I am trying to keep it close to a real size for a modern building as it is 4+ feet long. I am worrying about the duck under to get into the center of the oval. I have seen several options but making it is a near precise project. Keep up the good work as i like to see how you fill in the space. 

Matt,

The Atlas model uses 70 ton roller bearing trucks on both ends and at the articulated joint. I believe the prototype uses the same. When using the Kadee couplers the height will be a little high because of the thinner lid of the Kadee box vs the Atlas coupler box. You could use a shim to lower the coupler to correctly match the Kadee height gauge.

The newer narrower Atlas trucks should look pretty good on this car. Keep us posted!

Here is a pic of car straight from factory but with Kadee's.

DSCN2578

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN2578
Originally Posted by superpower:

Matt,

The Atlas model uses 70 ton roller bearing trucks on both ends and at the articulated joint. I believe the prototype uses the same. When using the Kadee couplers the height will be a little high because of the thinner lid of the Kadee box vs the Atlas coupler box. You could use a shim to lower the coupler to correctly match the Kadee height gauge.

The newer narrower Atlas trucks should look pretty good on this car. Keep us posted!

Here is a pic of car straight from factory but with Kadee's.

Thanks for the info.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.