Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a steep incline on my layout and some steam locos short out when the cow catcher starts the incline.  I have fixed this issue by putting a small piece of black tape at the point of contact under the cow catcher.  It is not seen and solves the problem and would work at the bottom or top of the incline.

Paul Edgar

Just for kicks, I googled cowcatcher and came up with a page from The Milwaukee Journal for July 31, 1921, which mentioned that David Matthew was chief machinist for the Utica & Schenectady RR and invented this device in 1836 because a collision with a bull in the Mohawk Valley would derail a light loco.  Googling Mr. Matthew further, he also is said to have invented the snowplow,the locomotive cab, a spark arrester, handcar propulsion systems, and the means of forcing a wheel upon an axle. 

Someone interested in railroad history and development might be interested in pursuing him further.

The Journal cite is

https://news.google.com/newspa...31,2177206&hl=en

The google search also turned up something of which I was not aware, that "In addition to the pilot, small metal bars called life-guards, rail guards or (UK) guard irons are provided immediately in front of the wheels.  They knock away smaller obstacles lying directly on the running surface of the railhead."  From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_%28locomotive%29

Now doing some ruminating (pun intended), Mr. Matthew obviously did not intend that his new pilot would catch and hod cattle, but rather throw it to one side.  So one could say that he conceived the idea of a bull slinger. 

Last edited by RJR
Originally Posted by Scrapiron Scher:

Rich,

The fellow didn't mean it.

Really, Rich, he didn't mean it.

Rich, what are you doing?

Rich, is that a shotgun?

Um, gotta go . . .

Gentle transitions make for trouble-free railroad grades. Also, I notice our webmaster has a new device for settling the 'pilot' question............

cowcar

Attachments

Images (1)
  • cowcar

I have a 3.5% grade on my layout and with gradual transitions at the top and bottom there are no issues.  I use Gargraves flex track and one way to ensure gradual transitions is to make the transition occur along the length of a 37" piece of flex. 

When I originally laid my track I didn't notice that I had a joint between two pieces of flex near the middle of the transition at the top of the grade.  Steam locomotives with long wheelbases (think x-10-x wheel arrangements) would do a teeter totter at the top of the grade since the transition was not as smooth as it should have been.  I cut the old track out with a Dremel tool, relaid the transition with a single piece of flex, and all is well.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.