Skip to main content

I have been looking for a way to trigger my signals , I have tried photo transistors with an arduino board but when the room lighting is turned down everything goes to red da and i have not had much luck with IR detectors and transmitters. I found these on the bay I was wondering if these could be used. Would these be affected by the room lighting?

Also would anyone know how to wire them up and program them with an arduino board

Digital 38KHz IR Receiver For Arduino Compatible

1、Based on the 38KHz IR Receiver Sensor

2、Can be used for remoter control

3、Power Supply : 5V

4、Interface : Digital

5、Modulate Frequency : 38Khz

6、Pin Definitions : (1) Output (2) Vcc (3) GND

7、Can be compatible with Wrobot Digital 38KHz IR Transmitter Sensor

s-l1600

Brand new IR transmitter module of good quality.
It can send 38 KHz modulation signal and is perfect for Arduino DIY project.
Dimensions: 4 x 1.5 x 0.5 cm
Material: PCB
Color: Black + Silver Grey
Weight: 4 g
Feature:
Sends 38 KHz modulation signal
Suitable for Arduino DIY project
package content:1 x transmitter module
Note:Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3 cm.

s-l1601

Attachments

Images (2)
  • s-l1600
  • s-l1601
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Note that the IR transmiter module you show is "just" an IR LED.  Like it says, it "can send" 38 kHz modulation but you need to provide this 38 kHz modulation signal (pulsing or whatever you want to call it).  Just be mindful that the code examples given usually show a task in isolation - showing just, for example, how one might modulate the LED at 38 kHz.  If you determine the modulation burden affects your application, there are low-cost eBay IR transmitter modules that do this pulsing on-board.  So you just supply power (5V DC) and possibly a simple digital on/off to start it modulating...can't get simpler than that!

Here's a photo from this recent thread showing some of these combo transmit-receive modules; there have been other similar OGR threads if you use the Search function with relevant terms.  Obviously you can use just the transmit half of these modules and separately use a different receiver module.  If you use a combo module and wish to separate the transmitter (2-pin LED) or 38 kHz receiver (3-pin black windowed chip), you should always extend wires to the LED rather than to the receiver.  It's only 2 wires to run but more importantly the receiver chip, being a high-gain device, is much more sensitive noise picked up from the extension wires.

ebay%2520modulated%2520IR%2520modules

To your original question, using 38 kHz IR detectors will absolutely, no doubt about it, increase immunity to ambient room lighting effects.  With one qualification.

There was a curious situation several decades ago when Compact-Fluorescent-Light bulbs first came out.  These bulbs pulse the tube at high-frequency (much faster than the 60 Hz of traditional fluorescent tube ballasts).  Problem was if you used a CFL bulb in the family room where the TV was, the TV remote stopped working.    Most TV receivers have from day 1 used essentially that same 38 kHz receiver component you show.  Suffice it to say the CFL manufacturer(s) resolved this very quickly - changed the modulation frequency.   So I suppose there's a one in a zillion chance you happen to be using one of these old CFL bulbs in your train room for ambient lighting in which case you'll be in for some head-scratching!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ebay%2520modulated%2520IR%2520modules
Last edited by stan2004

You might also be interested in this topic:

https://ogrforum.com/...c-turnout-controller

I use a slick little self contained IR detector on some of the turnouts. They just need power and ground, and provide a logic level output indicating signal detection. I posted some details and a pic here. They take some time to install, but they drop right in between the rails like they were designed for it.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.