Skip to main content

I am trying to get the bell to work properly on my railsounds boxcar.  I am using a kw transformer that only has the horn lever. When I have it wired up properly(center rail has power(+) and the inside rail is ground(-)) both the KW horn lever and the sound activation button (5906) sound the horn. If I reverse the power and ground wires at the transformer, the bell sounds when the horn lever on the KW is pulled and the horn sounds when the sound activation button is pressed.  Any ideas on how to get the bell to sound when the sound activation button is pushed and the horn to sound when the horn lever is pulled?  I am running a pw f3 with dual pullmor motors. I am not trying to use the original horn that is in the f3 only the electronic one in the railsounds boxcar.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dale is absolutely correct, the Controller is wired in series with the center rail on the old KW's,  simply reverse the polarity of the bell controller and it will activate

the newer engines horn & bell correctly.  gunrunners knowledge is spot on also,

I often install Banana Plugs or cover the mid terminals because if the wire from the outer terminals touch them, the track control wires can be fried quickly.  It's one of the reasons I put banana plug couplings on my old KW's outer posts.

PCRR/Dave 

Mid transformer is the KW with Banana Plug couplings that keep the running wire completely away from the mid terminals.

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

I reversed the wiring on the button controller and once again the button now controls the horn and the kw's horn lever turns the bell on and off.  Any ideas how to get the button to control the bell and the lever on the kw to control the horn, or do I have to live with it working backwards from what it is supposed to be?

I have the center rail wired to the A terminal on the KW. I have the inner rail wired to the U terminal.  At another connector on the Fastrack I have the5906's ground wire connected to the center rail and the positive wire from the push button connected to the inner rail.  Both positives to the inner rail and both negatives to the center rail.  With this set up I get the horn to blow from the KW's switch. I get nothing from the 5906 push button when it is pushed.  I put a meter on the leads from the 5906 and the voltage drops about 1 volt when the button is pushed.  To my brain if I reverse the leads of the 5906 I would be creating a short. Its ground lead wire would be attached to the inner rail and its positive lead would be attached to the center rail.  Where am I going wrong?

With the button removed the horn sounds without any problems. Even with the button wired separtly the horn works ok, just the bell does not work. If I remove the separate power connection from the transformer and only get the track power from going through the 5906 then the bell rings from the kw horn lever.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.