Skip to main content

20200412_230608I have a 8 x 12 table and I am currently running 0-42 curves. I'd like to move up to 0-72 so I can run my 763 and some other prewar scale. My current track plan is just two independent loops. I'd like to put something a little more interesting together. One loop for one train is fine. But I'd like a passing siding and maybe another one to do some switching. I've been playing around with SCARM and I don't like anything I've come up with.

My bench-work is a c shape and I will include a picture of the current layout.

Not sure if I'm over or under thinking this but I'm hoping someone with more experience can guide me on this.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20200412_230608
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do you hate or enjoy backing? If you like it use a stub siding(s) for loading. Otherwise do two passing sidings, maybe do one with more space between tracks for the stops?

Two tracks seperated by a platform allow opportunity for "animation". One train stops as the other is released with use of a relay/ e-unit, isolated rails, anti derail combo....Pretty easy. (using 3& 4 + locos at once, only one moving; is very possible too. Toggling combos of sidings on/off as well)

RamblerDon,

I have a hunch that the reason you didn't like the SCARM results is not because of your creativity, but because of your space constraints and desire for O72 curves.  Using those curves results in an outside loop with barely 2 10" pieces of straight track on the short sides and about 6 10" pieces of straight track on the longer sides.  Hardly a satisfying layout!  Too further complicate matters, one of your longer sides is broken up by your entrance bridge, meaning that any yard or switching area has to be on the two shorter sides, on the other longer side or in the short corners of the "C".

Of course, if you use an adaptable track brand, you could do an O63 inside loop with simple crossovers on each short side and a small yard on the continuous long side.  If you really desire industries, you could widen your center entry bridge to three tracks and put a small industrial area on each side of the bridge which is entered from a switch just off the curve before crossing the bridge.  (But, that pole next to the bridge might complicate this suggestion a bit.)

With your "givens" (space constraints) and "druthers" (O72 curve and operations), I think this will be the best you can do.

Chuck

Last edited by PRR1950

By looking at your photo, I see some nice pieces on your layout.  I can understand why you wish to make some changes.  The center table, that is 4’ x ??  By the looks of it in the picture, I would say 5’.  I think you have a great space to work with and I think a plan could be made to suit your desires as listed above.  If you would please, send me your email and I will send you a plan to Kick start your final plan that you have envisioned.

SPIKE posted:

By looking at your photo, I see some nice pieces on your layout.  I can understand why you wish to make some changes.  The center table, that is 4’ x ??  By the looks of it in the picture, I would say 5’.  I think you have a great space to work with and I think a plan could be made to suit your desires as listed above.  If you would please, send me your email and I will send you a plan to Kick start your final plan that you have envisioned.

The center section is 4 x 4. How do I send you my e-mail?

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.