Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As I recall 17/64" was used by hobbyists who wanted more accurate scale with the prevailing  1.25" gauge track.

There also used to be a variant of O scale called "Q" gauge which used 1-3/16" track gauge to be more accurate for 1:48 scale.

I would be interested to hear more background on these.

For a while back in the olden times, I am not sure but I think 30s and 40s there was some activity in 17/64 in this country.   There were a number of kits produced in that scale.    I think a PRR K4, an NYC Hudson, and string of cast aluminum heavy-weight passenger cars and some freight cars.    I think E P Alexander kits were 17/64.   I think the K4, the heavyweights, and some freight cars were Alexander.   Maybe Scalecraft or Mi-Loco prior to WWII did some 17/64.  

Some of this stuff was still produced in the 50s or was easily found.   Carl Auel made at least one kit that his daughter reissued in the 90s.   It was a heavy duty flat car and because it was su pposed to be massive, it looked OK as 1/4 inch scale also.

Another company that I think make some kits was Rail Craft from Webster Groves, MO (apparently there were 2 Railcrafts.   I have a Panel Side hopper that just looks too big to be 1/4 inch.    It is larger in every dimision than the Atlas USRA hopper and it should be about the same.   My friend built this kit in the late 40s.    

So if you get serious, and you shop around,  you might find some neat craftsman kits in 17/64.

Originally Posted by prrjim:
Carl Auel made at least one kit that his daughter reissued in the 90s.   It was a heavy duty flat car and because it was su pposed to be massive, it looked OK as 1/4 inch scale also.

The Auel trucks were/are 17/64'ths as well. 

I have a couple of 17/64'ths trolley freight trailers and a set of plans for a CERA trailer in 17/64'ths.  I think I made still have a few 17/64'ths freight cars stored away.....

Pretty sure that the Lobaugh 0-6-0 came in both 1/4" and 17/64'ths. 

I just finished off an Alexander old time coach, but I'm pretty sure it's not 17/64'ths....

Truly serious modelers now work in Proto-48.  Semi- serious folks use .115 tread wheels on Russian gauge track.  A few strange modelers like me model in 17/64, and find interchange not all that problematic.

All of my really big steam, except for the Lobaugh kits, is 17/64 scale.  A few Mikados and 2-10-2s are 1/4" scale, but they tower over the K- Line Berk.

scale rules are no longer necessary.  A hand- held calculator will give you the dimensions faster than you can use them. 

To convert HO to 1/4" scale, multiply by 1.814285714.  To convert that to 17/64, multiply by 1.0625.

Or go direct - HO to 17/64, multiply by 1.927.  I mostly just Xerox to the correct scale and start hammering.

Add some of the early cast brass Diesels to the list - all CLW PAs are closer to 17/64 than to 1/4.

I love 17/64 scale, Bob's right its not hard to measure especially in metric, 6.75mm its between 1/4 scale and 7mm which is what the Britt's model to. I have a scratched B&O atlantic, built from a Mel Thornburgh article  and next to  a Sunset 2-8-2 the mikado looks smallish, I also have the MINI Scale hudson and this is most definatly 17/64 scale the drivers would work out to 84'' in 1/4 scale, anthing that I build will be to this scale, I just love the extra size. I have a GG1 Im working on at the moment        Stephen    (cTr...Choose the Right)

I thought this was an odd ball area of the hobby. I guess not! Now, how about some photo's these items?

Odd is as odd does,

Ok, so here's something just a bit off the bell curve - the 17/64'ths CERA trolley freight trailer that I have.

And, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the IMP boxcabs are 17/64'ths....

Originally Posted by prrjim:
Another company that I think make some kits was Rail Craft from Webster Groves, MO (apparently there were 2 Railcrafts.   I have a Panel Side hopper that just looks too big to be 1/4 inch.    It is larger in every dimision than the Atlas USRA hopper and it should be about the same.   My friend built this kit in the late 40s.    

As far as I know the Rail Craft models (William Beeman, Webster Groves, MO) were all 1/4 in scale. The WAB panel side hoppers in the 36000-37799 series have an inside length of 33 ft. The Rail Craft model IL is about 32 ft 9 in. Rail Craft advertised in MR from June 1939 until June 1942. The last ad said that they were doing war work. All of their models are accurate models of actual prototypes including an N&W fishbelly hopper, an MP panel side gon, a T&P gon, a USRA 2 bay hopper a B&O flat car, and an Erie gon. I have one or more of all of these models except for the flat car.

Larry Kline

I use Auel trucks indiscriminately on freight cars.  Cannot tell the difference between one car and the next.  It is the locomotive where size really makes the difference.

probably shouldn't bore you again with this, but somebody asked for photos - one of five cab forwards in 17/64, obviously scratch- built:

Originally Posted by Rick Bivins:

On a recent post was a discussion of the AHM IHB 0-8-0 and the fact that it is a 17/64" model. 17/64" is dang close to 7mm. (6.74687mm). Does this stem from European model trains?  

Dan Henon compared the model to the measurements in a Locomotive Cyc and said it's 1/48.  See the March/April 1984 OSN, p3.  I posted this info in the original  topic on the 3RS side too.

Best rgds, SZ

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.