Skip to main content

Has anyone ever replaced a smoke unit on this locomotive? If so how do you remove the unit? I separated the shell from the wheels and I can see it and removed the screw that holds the unit in. But then there is a board in the way. I do t want to go any further until I am sure of the rest. Thank you ps also I believe I found the part on the mth website but does anyone know the part number?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unless my memory fails me, there is one screw right at the edge of the boiler opening that you remove and then jockey the smoke unit out.  It's possible the MUX board might be in the way, but I don't remember having to move it to remove the smoke unit.

Unless something very bad has happened, there's no reason to replace the whole smoke unit, the wick, fan motor and resistors are replaceable items that are typically all that's needed to restore proper operation.

Yes must remove mux, some engines it has to slide all the way toward the cab before it clears the shell.  Also beware that most of the K4 I work have very brittle wires around the mux, so don't be surprised if a few break the solder joint at the connector, or need to be replaced. 

Also DO NOT pinch a HL wire between stack and smoke unit funnel when reassembling.  G

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.