Skip to main content

Has anyone made 3-D coal piles and sand dunes by using a foam board, glue and real sand & scale coal?  Just getting ready to start finishing the walls around the layout and was curious what others have done.  Is it a good idea to try to use real sand etc? I want to glue the material on the foam board and then glue the board to the wall.  Like to get some ideas before I start.  I realize that this has probably been addressed before but I have not seen it.

Last edited by MONON_JIM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Recipe for coal piles:

1) Start with a heterogeneous mix of sand and tiny stones. (Tube Sand is a good source).  Sift to select the fine stuff.

2) Put in a jar with a dark I/A mix.  Shake. Strain and spread out to let dry.

3) Pour into a pile.  Let it take its own shape to get a realistic angle of repose.  You may pour over a foam "core" to save material, but cover it entirely so as not to ruin the shape.

4) Spray lightly with wet water.

5) Dribble or spray with a 50-50 mix of water and white glue.  Soak thoroughly.

6) Let dry.  You will have a perfectly shaped coal pile. Sprinkle more "coal" around to blend.

Coal 3

Coal 2

Coal 4

Coal 1

Coal 5

Attachments

Images (5)
  • Coal 5
  • Coal 3
  • Coal 4
  • Coal 1
  • Coal 2

I have used this method for attaching items to my backdrop. if you have Run #255, you can check out my featured layout and possibly see a pic or two. 

I did this with scenery material, coarse ground foam in my case. It would also work for coal or sand. Cut a  0.125 inch "profile board" to the profile of the coal pile or sand dune. Paint the board an appropriate color and apply your coal or sand with a base coat of white glue and then let it dry. Apply more product and soak on some diluted white glue and let everything dry. Once dry, you can stand the board vertical and the product will not fall off.

You can now attach this to the wall or backdrop directly but what I like to do is to provide a spacer between the wall / backdrop (another 0.125 inch) to provide a bit of relief, it makes your piece stand out just a bit and looks a lot better than a direct attachment. Make sure these spacers are not visible.

Sorry for the long post, I write a lot.

Donald

Last edited by 3rail

in this case size does not matter, as you noted it really depends on the situation. I would keep them small and fairly thin and down below the top. The whole idea is to pull your 3D background away from the 2D wall or backdrop just a little to provide a hint of a space and the eye will be fooled into thinking that there is more depth than is actually there. 

If you have space, I would then make some 3D mounds (truncated in half) and position them up against your other 3D backdrop, obviously, flat side against the vertical.

it is tough to see on my layout pics but this scenery principal was used along the back wall on the second level above the roundhouse.

i hope your area turns out nice, post some pics along the way.

Donald

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.