Skip to main content

Well, I spent several hours reading posts about the use of LED's and feel somewhat educated.  But at the same time confused about a lot.  The picture shows a 5050-3LED about which I have some questions.  Why is it described as 3 LED/PC?  What does the "PC" stand for?  I want to use one of the various resistance or circuit calculators for different combinations of these 3 LED arrays.  But they all approach things from the point of view of multiples of single diodes.  I THINK I learned each LED draws 20 milliamps of current, so it would seem that each of these units would draw 60 milliamps. Or are the individual LED's wired in parallel? Are there built in resistors in these things?  What are the things to which the white line points?  Each one has 910 printed on it. I guess what I am asking is how the heck are these things wired? 

If I were to try to use the calculator that Rod Stewart posted back in 2012 (this),  how would I do it with these things?  I know the "Supply Voltage" is 12VDC.  The "LED Forward Voltage" is __? For a single LED it would be 3.2Vf, but what number is proper for the array?  It would be 9.6 if the diodes are in series but that can't be because a 9 volt battery easily fires one of these packages. The "Number of LED's in Series" box would be 1 or 3? And what is the correct entry for "LED Forward Limiting Current?"  As I write this I realize I am confused enough that I don't really know the correct questions to ask.  Good grief!  I give! 

Attachments

Images (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe this will kelp you a little?

I have some of these. There are 20, 3 LED sections to a strip. The entire 20, 3 LED strips (all still connected together, I haven't separated any individual sections yet) operate from about 7.5 to 12 VDC. At about 7.5 VDC they just barely begin to light, at about 12 VDC they are at full brightness. The gray wire is + and White is -.  I am using just an adjustable AC to DC converter as a power supply, no resistors or anything else added.

I just powered them with this for the above test:

AC/DC to DC LM2596 Adjustable Voltage Step-down Power Supply Module + LED Meter

There are other versions of this item available on ebay or maybe Amazon also, without the meter that are much cheaper if you want to go that route. There are also DC/DC converters available that are very cheap if you have DC power to start with.

Added a couple of pictures. The LED's are just starting to light in the first picture, the room lights are kinds messing that up, but turning them off messed up the camera's focusing ability.

DSCF5890

DSCF5891

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSCF5890
  • DSCF5891
Last edited by rtr12

Thank you!  I think I finally get it.  The 3 LEDs in each module are in series with a built-in 120 ohm resistance.   The 20 modules in the string are wired in parallel.  I can separate any number of the modules desired and not worry about a proper resistor.  The 20 module string draws 400 mA (20 modules x 20 mA each.) More than one 20 module string could be connected.  The current draw just goes up accordingly. 

If this is incorrect, I will have to tear down my layout and think about collecting stamps.

How did you conclude 120 ohms and 20mA per set of 3

Previously you said the items in your first picture are labeled 910 which generally means it's a 91 ohm resistor.  Hard to see but it looks like there are 2 of them next to each other...probably in parallel.  This would make a 45 ohm resistance and in the ball park of what Fec fan said about 60 mA 5050 LEDs.

For what this is worth, took some readings using my harbor freight mini clamp on AC meter, probably not exact, but close. The 2 surface small black mount devices have '1D1' or '101' printed on them, using a magnifying glass, still can't see well enough to say for sure. Maybe John or Stan can cipher this for us?

The full set of 20 strips of 3 LED's

7.5 volts = 0.03 amps

12.0 volts = 1.18 amps

1 strip of 3 LED's

7.5 volts = 0.03 amps

12.0 volts = 0.12 amps

Last edited by rtr12
Originally Posted by rtr12:

7.5 volts = 0.03 amps

12.0 volts = 1.18 amps

1 strip of 3 LED's

7.5 volts = 0.03 amps

12.0 volts = 0.12 amps

The numbers are a bit confusing .  For 7.5V, the current was the same for 1 strip and 20 strips??  And for 12V the current is only 10 times greater when hooking up 20 strips??

If you have a DMM, if you can use the DC-current mode and place the meter AFTER your AC-DC converter module I believe we'll get "better" numbers.  As GRJ points out, AC-current measurements can be mis-leading with a typical hobby meter but DC-current measurements are generally more accurate (albeit requiring you to insert the meter into the current path).

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

The 101 on the resistor is the marking for 100 ohms.

Ahh, but you're not telling them the "secret" code!  For these surface-mount resistors, the 101 is 10 plus 1 zero or 100 ohms.  Bucky says 910 which is 91 plus 0 zeroes or 91 ohms.  Many strips have a 151 resistor which is 15 plus 1 zero or 150 ohms.  And so on...

New readings from the DC side this time.

7.5 volts = 0.81 mA

12.0 volts = 0.73 amps (hit 200mA at around 10 volts, had to go to 20 amp scale here)

1 strip of 3 LED's

7.5 volts = 0.08 mA

12.0 volts = 42.2 mA

The LED's just start to light slightly before 7 volts in the dark. You can barely see them. At about 7.2-7.3 volts you can tell they are starting to light with the room lights on. At 7.5 they are dim, but light up with the lights on in the room. So 7.5 is where you can definitely tell they are on.

And if Stan gives up all the secret info, you guys can finally give your typing fingers a rest. Won't be so many questions from us green horns. But then again we would miss not having your replies to read, may be best to keep just a few.

I really don't understand, I guess.  The LED Wizard is where I got the 120 ohms for the resistance.  But those small numbers on the resistors in the original photo of the module are indeed "910" or, according to the secret code, 91 ohms each. What am I missing here?  It is at least true that the 3 LEDs in each module are in series and the 20 modules in the string are wired in parallel?  I don't understand why the resistance is different than what the wizard said?

Wizard Inputs

Wizard Results

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Wizard Inputs
  • Wizard Results
Originally Posted by Bucky:

It is at least true that the 3 LEDs in each module are in series and the 20 modules in the string are wired in parallel?

Wizard Inputs

In this diagram your statement is correct. 3 are in series and the 20 rows of 3 are in parallel. The strips I have (in the pictures above) appear to be just the opposite. In the picture above, the wires enter one end of each strip, exit the other end of the strip and then go to the next strip. This should be series.  Parallel would be like your drawing, the power feed going up one side of each 3 LED strips and the common going up the other side of the strips. Then the LED's in your drawing are in a row (series), power in one end and common out the other.

I don't know how each strip of 3 is wired internally though? The 2 resistors and the way the LED's are positioned in the strip are somewhat puzzling to me. I may have to sacrifice a strip to see the internals. Or maybe John and Stan already know (they probably do) and if so maybe they will enlighten us (well me anyway).

In your calculator, it appears you specify LED voltage and current.  Here's a datasheet of the first 5050-sized LED that came up at DigiKey.com:

http://www.qt-brightek.com/dat.../QBLP679E-IWK-XX.pdf

In it is the following table with "typical" characteristic of 3.1 Volts at 60 mA.

ogr 5050 IV VF typ

If you enter these numbers for your array of 60, I think the calculator will spit out a resistance closer to 45 ohms than 120 ohms.  I believe those 2 resistors per strip are in parallel.  And if they are 91 ohms each, in parallel that makes 45.5 ohms. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ogr 5050 IV VF typ

It is at least true that the 3 LEDs in each module are in series and the 20 modules in the string are wired in parallel?

Wizard Inputs

In this diagram your statement is correct. 3 are in series and the 20 rows of 3 are in parallel. The strips I have (in the pictures above) appear to be just the opposite. In the picture above, the wires enter one end of each strip, exit the other end of the strip and then go to the next strip. This should be series.  Parallel would be like your drawing, the power feed going up one side of each 3 LED strips and the common going up the other side of the strips. Then the LED's in your drawing are in a row (series), power in one end and common out the other.

I don't know how each strip of 3 is wired internally though? The 2 resistors and the way the LED's are positioned in the strip are somewhat puzzling to me. I may have to sacrifice a strip to see the internals. Or maybe John and Stan already know (they probably do) and if so maybe they will enlighten us (well me anyway).

Here is the picture of a 3825 strip that led me to believe the LEDs were in series and if subsequent modules were added they would be in parallel.  I suppose there are more than one way to build them.

Attachments

Images (1)
Originally Posted by stan2004:

In your calculator, it appears you specify LED voltage and current.  Here's a datasheet of the first 5050-sized LED that came up at DigiKey.com:

http://www.qt-brightek.com/dat.../QBLP679E-IWK-XX.pdf

In it is the following table with "typical" characteristic of 3.1 Volts at 60 mA.

ogr 5050 IV VF typ

If you enter these numbers for your array of 60, I think the calculator will spit out a resistance closer to 45 ohms than 120 ohms.  I believe those 2 resistors per strip are in parallel.  And if they are 91 ohms each, in parallel that makes 45.5 ohms. 

It does. 47 ohms to be exact. And I am not sure where I came up with the 20mA.  I just looked at the specs for the ones I bought on Amazon and it says 60.  Just proves I don't know what I am doing.

Originally Posted by Dale H:

I really don't understand, I guess.  The LED Wizard is where I got the 120 ohms for the resistance.  But those small numbers on the resistors in the original photo of the module are indeed "910" or, according to the secret code, 91 ohms each. What am I missing here?  It is at least true that the 3 LEDs in each module are in series and the 20 modules in the string are wired in parallel?  I don't understand why the resistance is different than what the wizard said?

Wizard Inputs

Wizard Results

Diode forward voltage is 3.2

input voltage 12

current forward is 60 ma if they are 3 chip LEDs ,not 20 as per Stan's chart

# of LEDs is 3

Using ohms law 12-9.6/.06 equals 40 ohms,quarter watt resistor. If the LEDs is 20 ma a 120 ohm resistor would be appropriate.

Each 3 LEDs with resistor would use 12X .06  or .72 watts. The resistor 2.4X .06 or .14 watts

300 LEDs 72 watts

600 LEDs 144 watts

20 ma LEDs would use 1/3 of that

Dale H

So each 5050 LED has three chips (and each module has 3 LEDs.)  That explains why a 5050 chip is so much brighter than a 3528, for example.  The 20mA I used would only be correct if the LED had 1 chip.  Maybe I am inching closer to understanding and won't have to resort to stamps.  Thank you!  Sorry, y'all have to explain this so many times.

Wizard Inputs

Here is the picture of a 3825 strip that led me to believe the LEDs were in series and if subsequent modules were added they would be in parallel.  I suppose there are more than one way to build them.

Was re-reading this thread, only thinking a little this time. I believe the drawing you posted and your statement above is correct for the strips also. If the 3 LED strips were in series I think we would be out of voltage after just a few strips of 3. If the individual 3 LED strips were in parallel there would have to be 3 resistors, one for each LED. So I think the drawing from the LED wizard is correct for the strips also. You are correct on the 3528 strip being series also, only 1 resistor. I hope we can get rid of the stamps now.

Stan has to be correct about the resistors in parallel. Yours would be 45.5 and mine would be 50 so that's pretty close. Thanks to Stan for giving up John's secret codes, if I can only remember them.

Hope this makes sense and I didn't add to the confusion with my own above. All I was thinking about last night was the way the wires go in and out of the 3 LED strips, that was confusing me. I'm not going to sacrifice one just yet.

I'm still trying to learn also. I sometimes feel like I'm being a pest also as I don't always clearly understand what the knowledgeable folks are talking about. John, Stan, Dale H and many of the others here are a great help. I'm also glad they are here and put up with our questions.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.