Skip to main content

hey everyone,

so about a week ago, I bought an old MTH Proto-Sound 1 J1e Hudson #5344 (product number 20-3020-1)

when I got it, the smoke unit had completely seized to work, It wasn’t producing smoke. And i didn’t hear the fan motor either.

when I opened it up, the smoke units wires had been detached not just from the entire unit, but also the plug for the fan motor.

I ordered a replacement smoke unit just to be safe, but when I did order it, I noticed that the new smoke unit had a plug to connect it to the rest of the engine, whereas the old one just had soldered wires.

it also has too short of a stack to connect it to the actual smokestack on the shell.

So my main 2 questions are:

1: how do I connect the new smoke unit to the rest of the engine? (If there is a wiring diagram, that will do wonders for me)

2: is there a place I can get a new stack to put onto the new smoke unit so it has a straight path up?  I tried salvaging the old units stack, but it’s too loose on the new one.

and also a side question:

I’ve seen people use a 9 volt battery to test smoke unit motors, while I’ve heard doing so can actually burn the motor out. Could someone tell me if this is actually safe to do?

I’ll send pictures if needed.

thank you all,

Jack

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Smoke Unit I Ordered
The part that the mthpartsandsales site told me to use.

This is the replacement smoke unit I Ordered, and it has a plug to connect to the power instead of soldered wires. Plus the exhaust stack is too short, and the old one was screwed onto the SHELL with a special mount.

I couldn't find a picture of the old one, but I can say that the Smoke chamber and the fan chamber were 1 solid metal piece, unlike this one where its 2 pieces separated by a rubber spacer.

I honestly am tempted to send it back to the seller (Trainz.com) to have them fix it, as I have zero experience with MTH trains and how they work.

If I have to get the engine upgraded to PS2/3, I am ok with that, even if it'll put a huge dent in my bank account.

oh well,

@Jon G posted:

The PS1 smoke units are track powered.  Red goes to the center rail through the on/off switch and black is chassis ground.  

The original units are repairable.  If the heater circuit works  (one is active below 12 volts, two above) and the fan spins when tested by a DC source (5-6 volts), the fan circuit has a rectifier and regulator, which are replaceable.

Sure enough, Connected the wires correctly with the new unit, and She Works!

Thank you Jon!

@locolawyer posted:

Jack,

I have the same MTH PS1 Hudson that you have,  that I had Marty Fitzhenry upgrade to PS2 with LED lights years ago. Marty really liked this engine as it had a powerful Pittman motor, which is better than the Canon motors used today. You should consider upgrading your engine to PS2 if you run with DCS.

Erol

So I would upgrade it to DCS, but I don’t use DCS OR TMCC/Legacy because of how small my home layout is, even my Local Hi-Railer Club doesn’t use DCS, so honestly it wouldn’t be worth it, even with new sounds, I’m completely fine with PS1 sounds.

maybe sometime in the future, I’ll think about it, but for now, what I have will do!

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.