Skip to main content

2 RAIL or 2R     I just left a discussion that was meant to be about 2 rail track radius (as opposed to 3 rail track) which is described by DIAMETER like O72. The problem is, many forumites enter discussions from the sidebar to the right of the topic, and the discussion was soon taken over by posts about 3 rail track, even though prior posts were about track RADIUS.

The simple solution to this is to type 2R or 2 RAIL as the first characters in your title (if you are starting the topic) and the Body of your post. Then everyone should be aware of the forum they are posting in.

Hopefully

Simon

Last edited by Simon Winter
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2 RAIL or 2R     I just left a discussion that was meant to be about 2 rail track radius (as opposed to 3 rail track, which is described by DIAMETER like O72. The problem is, many forumites enter discussions from the sidebar to the right of the topic, and the discussion was soon taken over by posts about 3 rail track, even though prior posts were about track RADIUS.

The simple solution to this is to type 2R or 2 RAIL as the first characters in your title (if you are starting the topic) and the Body of your post. Then everyone should be aware of the forum they are posting in.

Hopefully

Simon

That has been my complaint about the "sidebar", i.e. "RECENT POSTS", in that it gives absolutely NO INFORMATION as to what forum the subject discussion in on. Way too many folks simply don't bother to pay attention about which forum the discussion is on.

2R  We all (hopefully) LOL know where we are posting, but there are some who think they have to expound on every topic out there, regardless if they have a clue about the subject or not. I'm up for any suggestions you folks might have if you think you have something better, but I think it has to be simple/easy or it won't work.

Simon

Maybe the BEST way is to be sure 2R or Two Rail, are the first characters of your post title. THAT shows up on the side bar!

@bob2 posted:

For some strange reason, I don't really mind 3 railers posting here.  If it bothers you, there is always the tattle-tail button.  "Moderators" go nuts when alerted to this sort of thing.  They will fix it and chastise.

2R

I have nothing against 3 railers posting here if their comments are on topic, but if they want to talk about 3 rail stuff, there are forums for that. Maybe you should crack open the Webster and look up:       courtesy

How about I start posting pie recipes in your topics?

Simon   apple or blueberry?

After a bit of thought, I think the easiest answer is to make "2 Rail" the first thing in your topic title. That solves the "Side Bar" issue which I think is the heart of the problem. The rest is up to you.

Simon

B rad:  I didn't see your post, as I was typing my last one, but I think since it pertains specifically to THIS from, it is more likely to be seen here, and I think 2 Rail as the start of the topic is the answer because it puts 2 Rail on the side bar, which I believe is the root of the problem. The issue is NOT about who is posting here, but about keeping things on topic.

Thanks,

Simon

@AGHRMatt posted:

I am multilingual, speaking 2-rail, 3 rail, and toy train (my first language). On matters of radius I Include the 3 rail equivalent. My posts don't seem to generate any consternation.

The perfect opportunity to confront you about the "great 2 rail/3 rail unification" that you have been promising us these past several years, but have yet to have delivered!      Sorry Matt, couldn't resist!

Simon

The perfect opportunity to confront you about the "great 2 rail/3 rail unification" that you have been promising us these past several years, but have yet to have delivered!      Sorry Matt, couldn't resist!

Simon

Yeah. Never happened as I had predicted, though the MTH 3/2 equipment was a step in the right direction. From a technical standpoint, it wasn't really that difficult to implement but no one wanted to run with it (I even have the graphic of how to do it).

@AGHRMatt posted:

Yeah. Never happened as I had predicted, though the MTH 3/2 equipment was a step in the right direction. From a technical standpoint, it wasn't really that difficult to implement but no one wanted to run with it (I even have the graphic of how to do it).

I think sooner or later with the improvements in  battery technology, your prognostication will prove correct, and ZERO rail will be the rule of the day because they'll run without any rails. (Actually they do now.) RCBP will be my power choice unless they come out with something like dilithium crystals! LOL It will certainly be interesting

Simon

I think sooner or later with the improvements in  battery technology, your prognostication will prove correct, and ZERO rail will be the rule of the day because they'll run without any rails. (Actually they do now.) RCBP will be my power choice unless they come out with something like dilithium crystals! LOL It will certainly be interesting

Simon

The AirWire 900 actually delivers most of that promise by sending DCC commands to a DCC board from a radio receiver driven from battery or track voltage. I was looking into that as an option for some of my conventional 3-rail locomotives. It's a bit pricey as you still need to add a DCC decoder and sound to the mix.

Last edited by AGHRMatt

Look, I hate to be the sour apple or blueberry (YEECH!) in this pie, but as much as I like reading about and learning about 2-rail model railroading, we are on a primarily 3-rail magazine forum.  This is a 2-rail sub-forum of a 3-rail sponsored forum, and we have to accept that 3-railers (of which I am also one) will comment, regardless of their knowledge base.  This is even more likely when the topic(s) are radii / diameters of track and the engines that will run on either.

Moderators do their best to keep topics on track or in the "correct" location, but as I'm sure we've all seen, not all topics are easily positioned by forum title, and not all topics are easily separable by subject matter.

Chuck

Last edited by PRR1950

If we are talking about Raspberry Pi, then we are completely in the wrong set of forums although it might fit under one of the command forums as you could likely create your own command system with it if you understood how to program it.

On a side note that is even more off topic, growing up with a grandmother who made pies instead of cakes in central PA, apple pie was considered the bottom of the pile when it came to good fruit pies.  A good black raspberry pie was always at the top.

These old Pennsylvania Dutch recipes also typically require three 4" radius pie plates as opposed to the more common two 4.5" radius pie plates. 

@PRR1950 posted:

Look, I hate to be the sour apple or blueberry (YEECH!) in this pie, but as much as I like reading about and learning about 2-rail model railroading, we are on a primarily 3-rail magazine forum.  This is a 2-rail sub-forum of a 3-rail sponsored forum, and we have to accept that 3-railers (of which I am also one) will comment, regardless of their knowledge base.  This is even more likely when the topic(s) are radii / diameters of track and the engines that will run on either.

Moderators do their best to keep topics on track or in the "correct" location, but as I'm sure we've all seen, not all topics are easily positioned by forum title, and not all topics are easily separable by subject matter.

Chuck

Chuck,  You obviously missed the point of this topic, which was to better inform forum members what subforum they are posting to, and how to overcome the ambiguity of the "Recent Posts" side bar. Nowhere did it state that certain forum members be barred from a topic, only that the topic should be Identified so that an intelligent discussion could proceed.  The only thing you state that is relevant is highlighted. Thanks to OGR for sponsoring this subforum.

Simon

@GG1 4877 posted:

On a side note that is even more off topic, growing up with a grandmother who made pies instead of cakes in central PA, apple pie was considered the bottom of the pile when it came to good fruit pies.  A good black raspberry pie was always at the top.

Being from south-central PA originally, good black raspberry pie is always near the top!  

Except if you happen to be over in Adams Co. where apples rule.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.