Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think OMI impored the Ajin superliners years ago. I saw some once years ago and they were beautiful, but the run was small, so finding them's going to be hard. If you can handle "shorties", the MTH superliners can be 2-railed fairly easily. K-Line made some superliners in full scale length which pop up from time to time (they also made the Santa Fe cars and the Amtrak Surfliner commuter cars -- both hard to find/expensive).

As for locomotives, the newer MTH unit is probably the easiest to find in the secondary market and can be switched over fairly easily. The box says Proto 3-2 2-rail switchable in the feature list and will run on DC. The Protosound 3 version will also run under DCC.

The wheel change is fairly easy. I would take one axle out at a time and install the new replacement. They need to go in a certain way. There are a type of holes in the plastic insulator that should allow the pins in the trucks to go inside, if I remember correctly?

Keep the axle insulators in the proper orientation. One truck has them on the gear side, the other truck is the opposite.

Mounting the pilots is fairly easy on this model, again if I remember? One end has predrilled holes for the KD couplers in the pilots. I just added a spacing shim. I believe that Rich M has pictures of it on his site, Toy Trains On Tracks.

http://www.toytrainsontracks.com/

http://www.toytrainsontracks.c...AmtrakPhotoPage.html

I think he made a post about that here somewhere? ( I lost it when my computer went)

Also, there is a guy selling shims here on the forum, that I just slipped on his name?

https://ogrforum.com/...s-for-different-cars

Looking now, I really cut up the fixed pilots pretty good with my Dremel tool! I also had to drill (and tap?) the frame and pilots to screw mount them.

I got lazy and used a silver colored Sharpie to paint the plastic shims.

It's much easier to buy the 2 rail models!

DSC_2207DSC_2208

Wow, look at the gap from the sideframe to the wheel! I didn't notice it being that bad before?

This was the 3 rail version though....

DSC_2209DSC_2210

Attachments

Images (4)
  • DSC_2207
  • DSC_2208
  • DSC_2209
  • DSC_2210
Last edited by Engineer-Joe
AGHRMatt posted:

I think OMI impored the Ajin superliners years ago. I saw some once years ago and they were beautiful, but the run was small, so finding them's going to be hard. If you can handle "shorties", the MTH superliners can be 2-railed fairly easily. K-Line made some superliners in full scale length which pop up from time to time (they also made the Santa Fe cars and the Amtrak Surfliner commuter cars -- both hard to find/expensive).

As for locomotives, the newer MTH unit is probably the easiest to find in the secondary market and can be switched over fairly easily. The box says Proto 3-2 2-rail switchable in the feature list and will run on DC. The Protosound 3 version will also run under DCC.

So AGHRMatt how hard is it so change the MTH superliners to 2 Rail. Does one have to do a lot of fabrication? Thanks 

The newest MTH pass cars have KD mounts on them I've read, but I can't confirm that. I have converted an old set of MTH Amtrak cars to 2 rail. I put MTH lightweight trucks under them. I got lazy and never got around to adding KDs. Their 2 rail pass trucks come with 3 rail couplers on them!

I would guess that some shims need to be made to mount the KDs at the correct height. You have to connect the wires if you want lights to work. I am in the process of making all my pass cars have LED lighting. The stock lights draw too much power. I've also read that MTH may have started putting LEDs in the newest pass cars.

I have just looked at the latest catalog and nothing mentioned about Kadee pads. I also see there are some superliner cars on ebay. Hopefully I can get a couple bought reasonable and experiment. Also I read they have changed the lighting in the newer cars. The new P42 engine should be here Monday, now I just need to get some passenger cars for it. ��

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.