Skip to main content

A so-called 'friend' has asked, with a smile on his face, if I could think about 2-railing a Sunset 3-rail steam loco.  Unfortunately I've started to think about it.  Joe have you got 2 mins to tell me what to say to him? 

Anyway, when the wheels are separated from the chassis, what's next?  First, long before insulation rears its ugly head, the wheels have very delicate spokes, so separating the tyre from the wheel looks dodgy.  Phew, lunchtime (here in England...) must go and think about something else 

Jason

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Without the use of an accurate metal cutting lathe my 2 railing process cannot be accomplished.  If you can find a direct replacement set of 2 rail drivers, I would use them.  Remember to check the axle and crankpin diameters and other dimensions to make sure the new drivers are a good match to your mechanism.

Joe

Those Atlantic drivers would not survive Joe's method of cutting the tire to form after pressing.  They might not survive a pressing operation.  If you machine the tires ahead of time for a very light fit, then use shaft Loctite, you might have some success.  The 3-rail tire can probably be sawed off with a jewelers saw.  Cut at the counterweight.  If you need to "skinny up" the driver casting (not recommended) very light cuts on the inner face, then re-gauge by carefully pressing at the hub.

I thought they might have over-done it with the thin-ness of those spokes.  I prefer the Lobaugh 84" driver castings, even though they have half as many spokes as the real thing.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.