Skip to main content

I have the subject PS1 engine that was upgraded with a PS3 kit in 2016.  The engine still runs great. I have two questions.

- Is there a soundfile for this engine that is freight?  I currently have passenger and that is all I can find.

- The upgrade never had the firebox glow operational even though it was part of the original PS1 engine. Is there a way to hook that up?

Ken

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Kenjr posted:

- The upgrade never had the firebox glow operational even though it was part of the original PS1 engine. Is there a way to hook that up?

Sound file I'll talk about separately.

The steam upgrade kit natively only supports headlight. Your PS2 engine should and probably did have a constant voltage board (6V regulator board for the incandescent and sometimes LED class lamps). The Cab light and firebox glow is normally left powered off of that constant voltage board. In fact, the upgrade instructions talk about this. Whoever did the install skipped that?

That said, that would not be flickering- just a red glow.

MTH parts lists for that engine https://www.mthpartsandsales.c...lists/200?type=lists

PS3 upgrade kit manual https://mthtrains.com/sites/de...ction/50as10709i.pdf

Notice the harness only has a plug for headlight.

Page 30 of the manual goes into adding the inductor for the boiler mounted constant voltage board that should have been left installed during the upgrade to power Firebox glow, Class LEDs, and Cab Lamp.

Example part

using a bracket like this to the top of the boiler shell

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip3
  • mceclip4

Regarding the sounds... I *think* the driving wheels on your loco scale out to around 71" and the gear ratio is 16:1.  This works out to around 0.28" per motor revolution, which is fairly close to a post-2001 RailKing Berkshire.

Now, I haven't messed with DCS sound and personality files in many years, long before they came up with "chain files", etc.  But... if you can find a suitable Berkshire with compatible electronics, it seems to me that a freight sounds file from one of those locos would come close to giving you four chuffs per revolution.  If you need an exact speed match for doubleheading, perhaps you could fine-tune it with a custom tach tape.  Please let us know if you try this and   whether it worked.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.