Skip to main content

I'm looking at a Rail King 30-1601-1 UP FEF with PS3 for a friend: https://mthtrains.com/30-1601-1

The locomotive is dead. When power is applied in DCS or conventional the lights in the locomotive briefly blink and then nothing. Won't respond in DCS or conventional. I can hear the caps charging on the board (slight whine). Locomotive draws .4 amps at 12V when powered. No shorts (transformer breaker/fuse does not trip). I've checked the wireless drawbar for continuity and it's perfect from power/chassis ground all the way back to the tender board. Both the smoke unit motor and resistors are in spec as far as resistance goes. Smoke unit motor (disconnected from the board) runs on 3V DC no problem. Checked all wiring for shorts to chassis ground. No shorts. No visibly blown components on either the tender or boiler board and no "bad smoke smell" on either board. I'll have the boards tested on a test fixture to see if one or both are dead. My big question is, if the boards are dead, what was the cause? I can't find any issue and I wouldn't want him to get new boards and have them fail. Is there anywhere else I can check for issues? I've never had a board just randomly fail, there has always been some underlying issue. 

Last edited by Lou1985
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I doubt you can hear the caps charging.  For those engines, look at the drawbar and make sure no exposed pins on the bottom, or the wiring harness that runs from the drawbar to the engine board does not have damage from metal rubbing, or the exposed pins have touched metal on the trail truck or metal bar.  G

GGG posted:

I doubt you can hear the caps charging.  For those engines, look at the drawbar and make sure no exposed pins on the bottom, or the wiring harness that runs from the drawbar to the engine board does not have damage from metal rubbing, or the exposed pins have touched metal on the trail truck or metal bar.  G

Something is making a whining sound I can hear when it's powered. I figured it might be the caps (I've heard some whine, just not on a MTH board), but something is whining when first powered up.

I checked the wiring harness for shorts to the drawbar and found nothing. All factory insulation is in place. I'll double check again just to be sure. 

Looks like the culprit is a bent drawbar and the pins on the locomotive end touching the bottom of the cab. You can see where the pins scraped away paint on the bottom of the cab. Owner looks to have been pressing the drawbar in from the middle of the drawbar, instead of the end at the tender. This gave the drawbar a slight upward U shape in the middle. As the drawbar moves up and down it could hit the bottom of the cab and short to ground. Confirmed by moving the drawbar up and checking for continuity with a multimeter. Straightened the drawbar and it's now impossible for the pins on the locomotive end to touch the bottom of the cab when the locomotive and tender are connected. Gonna cost the guy a board set unfortunately. 

20200305_20192220200305_202013

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20200305_201922
  • 20200305_202013
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I got two smoked RK Big Boys in for service before I found out what was taking them out.   I don't get how they miss this obvious design flaw before it leaves the factory.

Do you remember if both the boiler board and tender board were taken out or just one? 

At this point I think it would be a waste of time to put the boards on a tester to see which one is dead. 

gunrunnerjohn posted:

Clearly, I'd test both boards before moving on, my experience is only a sample of one.  Of note, I always test the two boards if I have this kind of failure.

I was planning on pulling both boards and bringing them to the LHS (which has a board tester) and seeing which one died. No sense in replacing both boards if only one is dead.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.