Skip to main content

Here's a shot of the back head of the Lionel 4-8-2 Mountain I'm converting:

DSCN0697_518

Not sure how accurate it is, but it sure has a lot of detail applied.

Here's my question...it's too nice to go un-noticed, are there any parts I should paint/highlight to make them stand out when viewing?

I've seen photos of back heads with valve handles painted white, but I figured that was just for the camera and not so much for the engineer/fireman's convenience.

The huge grommet/hole take away from the overall aesthetics, but it's hardly noticeable with the cab in place and I'm not sure I'll even put a LED inside.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0697_518
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bob  - those two large slanting  tubes are stoker coal delivery tubes.  I read somewhere during WWII stokers were mandated for locomotives above a certain size.  As a result the PRR had to retrofit stokers on hundreds of hand fired locomotives L1s 2-8-2's and K4s 4-6-2's.  Perhaps the Seaboard 4-8-2's fell under the same mandate.  

Bob Delbridge posted:
seaboardm2 posted:

Some burned coal and some burned oil.Later on they had stokers installed.

Yep, some were converted to oil use which SAL found cheaper to run.  I'm surprised they didn't convert them all knowing how tight Seaboard was with their $$$.

To me this makes seaboard stand out more.Because not that many railroads in this part of the country.Had oil burning steamers.

Almost done converting this Lionel Southern 4-8-2 into a Seaboard Air Line Class M2 4-8-2.

This is the original engine:

Lionel 1491

And here's the SAL Mountain #240:

DSCN0710_531

In addition to making a Vanderbilt tender from brass, I also had to relocate/make/buy part of the walkway/running board, sand dome, bell, and air tanks.  Also had to re-bend the brass piping underneath the walkway and dremel out a spot in the rear for a MTH circuit board for the 10-pin tether so I could install BPRC electronics.

Here's a shot of the engine:

DSCN0706_527

and the tender:

DSCN0708_529

DSCN0711_532

I did scribe some lines and simulated wood etching on the platform on top of the water tank, just can't see them in the photo.

Here's a shot of the removable foam "coal" load:

DSCN0715_536

This is showing the BPRC electronics (Deltang Rx65 receiver, RSC on/off switch and charging jack) hidden inside, mounted to a box I made from Strathmore paperboard.  The battery is in the water tank, accessible by popping off the round end piece made from PVC round stock.  The 2 yellow thingies are the polyfuses to keep things safe.  The yellow spot behind the box is a piece of heat-shrink tubing is slipped over the Deltang Rx to keep it from making contact with any metal:

DSCN0712_533

I still have a few items to add, tool boxes, sand dome piping, and maybe some rivet decals on the coal bunker.

What surprised me was the brass tender weighs less (even with all the solder I used!) than the diecast Lionel tender that came with the engine.

This will most likely be my last engine project, decals are getting too hard to find (although I do have 2 sets of Champ decals coming from Jack McGarry).

Seems like I've been working on this thing for 6 months!  I never thought I would end up with a SAL 4-8-2, but the Lionel engine was too close not to try, and the price was great as well.

Attachments

Images (7)
  • Lionel 1491
  • DSCN0710_531
  • DSCN0706_527
  • DSCN0708_529
  • DSCN0711_532
  • DSCN0715_536
  • DSCN0712_533

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)