Skip to main content

If you guys wouldn't mind helping a three railer, hi-rail guy out a bit, I do have a question:  As I understand, both Champ decals and Walthers have gotten out of the decal business.  I need to find a couple of sets of Chicago and Northwestern, caboose decals from their red caboose days.  From what I can see in photos, the RR painted their cabooses in a standard caboose red color, roof included, and the lettering was simply "DHICAGO AND NORTHWESTERN"  in white block letters on the high area of the caboose side.  They also had a standard, red black and white logo placed next to a window.  Most of their cabooses had no letterboard.'

Any of you know where new decals like described might be available?  I have two cabeese that I need to finish off with proper lettering and markings.  For whatever reason, our manufacturers did all their C&NW cabooses in green and yellow.  Yes, the RR did use that scheme after about 1975, but my RR is set at 1950, when all of their crummy's were painted red.

Paul Fischer

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like old out of print, very hard to find if find at all and  could demand a hefty price. sounds almost like a business to get into. I bought a few O scale UP cabooses a decade or so and glad I bought the decals too and that is far as the project went. My son was lucky in getting some CB&Q  decals too back then. At the time we would see ads closing out decals and he bought what he could/wanted.

Paul, Good luck on your quest. You just got to get your wants in front of the right eyeballs. 

Phill

Last edited by phill
Originally Posted by fisch330:

From what I can see in photos, the RR painted their cabooses in a standard caboose red color, roof included, and the lettering was simply "DHICAGO AND NORTHWESTERN"  in white block letters on the high area of the caboose side.  They also had a standard, red black and white logo placed next to a window.

Without a picture of your objective, I can't be sure, but you might be able to cannibalize what you need from the 7212-03 set of dry transfers from Clover House.

I have decals made for me - logos in full color seem to be no problem, and I can cram enough on a single sheet to make it about a fifth the price of Champ or Microscale.

My SP steam decals are available for ten bucks plus postage, and the sheet has enough for eight locomotives, including cab and tender data.  I did have some CNW Diesel decals done as well, but they were for special projects.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.