Skip to main content

I am trying to determine what gauge wire to use on my layout. It will have two loops with an outer loop of 12x14 and an inner loop just a bit smaller. I will be be using the star wiring method even though I will only be running conventional and legacy initially but may be adding MTH DCS down the road. It seems a lot of members recommend using 14 gauge for the main run with 16 gauge drops from the track. I have been watching the Lionel tutorial videos and they recommend using 16 gauge for the main run and 18 gauge drops from the track. Now Lionel is talking about bus wiring but I don't see where that would make any difference of the gauge wire you use. So why are so many members recommending 14 and 16 gauge rather than 16 and 18 gauge? I have attached the Lionel video for your review.

https://youtu.be/9JKA0GD_564

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It also depends on what you want to run too. Postwar locomotives, with their dual universal AC motors and incandescent bulb lit passenger cars can pull a large amount of current. More current means more voltage drop. On the other hand, if you run modern era locomotives with their can motors, there will be less current. I agree with BMORAN4 above. Install the larger wire up front. That way, if you want to run a big power hog engine sometime in the future, you can.

If you are going to run DCS, run 14 ga. stranded to you distribution point anf

d 14 ga. stranded to the track.  See Barry's book, it is explained there.  Also, stranded because the DCS signal travels on the outside surface of the wires.  You get better signal going to the rails.  Also, isolate your center rail into segments of about 12-18 feet each segment.  The outside rail can remain one section but run wires the same as center rail.

Bruce

I used the star wiring method for my layout and I chose 14 gauge wire for the reasons others have mentioned above. I run the 14 gauge wire straight to the track from the distribution point and do not have separate drops.

I would also recommend using paired wire if you are going to add DCS in the future. This is the type of wire that is recommended in Barry's book for the best DCS signal.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.