Skip to main content

Here is my 5-car set of TTX "cutdown" cars made from MTH husky stack cars.  Around 2005, Gunderson/Greenbrier started cutting down 48ft well cars to 40ft for BNSF and TTX.  They did thousands, and here is an example of the yellow DTTX variety, very common on stack trains today.

I already posted pics of this before, but I made three significant changes:

1)  I repainted them so the TTX yellow color is much closer to the prototype.  Previously, they were just too "sunny".

2)  I converted them from 3-rail with lobster claws to 2-rail with 743 kadees.

3)  I re-decaled them so they have much more accurate markings.

I would like to give thanks to Brett Nguyen for his many detailed up-close photos on RRPICTURES.NET

In general, I am converting all my 40-ft wells to 2-rail.  So far, I have three sets of 5-car articluateds including 2 Maxi-I's and this 5-car shorty.  In the future, I am going to convert my Maersk Maxi-I to 2-rail, as well as my APL LoPac 2000. 

Repainted Shorty Cars [2)

Repainted Shorty Cars [3)

Repainted Shorty Cars [4)

Repainted Shorty Cars [5)

Repainted Shorty Cars [6)

Repainted Shorty Cars [7)

Attachments

Images (6)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (2)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (3)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (4)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (5)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (6)
  • Repainted Shorty Cars (7)
Videos (1)
IMG_1410
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Martin H:
Thanks Matt.  I'm hoping MTH will release a ps3 version of the MoPa heritage sd70ace to pair with this Katy.

I do all the cutting with a Dremel cutoff wheel. After removing the middle two inches, I glued them together with a strip of styrene on top to increase the wall height.

I have the MoPac anc CNW with Proto-2 (both with scale wheels/fixed pilots) and they hook up nicely with the Proto-3 Katy (also scale wheels/fixed pilots), but the polarity issue is still there in a 2-rail context. I run at the club for now, but if/when I build a 2-rail setup I'll have to go old school on retaining track polarity using sensors and relays.

How did you handle articulating the units? Where'd you get the decals?

Last edited by AGHRMatt
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.