Skip to main content

Recently my wife agreed to let me have the perimeter of my basement, measuring 34’ X 13’ for a train layout & I would like to build my first 2-rail layout. Do other members on this forum have recommendations for track-laying software that allows the use of flex-track & is not restricted to Atlas-O tracks with just 3-5 turnout options? I have been following the “Track Planning Software” thread on the Hi-Rail forum & here is what I have understood so far.

SCRAM, is very popular, maybe because it is free & they have 2-rail Atlas track library, last updated in 2011.

RR-Track, costs $69, for the bundle that includes 2-rail Atlas.

Railmodeller Pro, which won’t work for me as they are only available for Apple products

Most of these packages seem to focus on sectional tracks. But I have read about 2-rail hobbyists using flex-track from Micro Engineering or switches from Signature Switch Company on these forums. I have also read about some who handrail their tracks. How are these layouts planned?

I am proficient in CAD & I have access to AutoCAD for 2-D needs or CREO / Pro-Engineer for 3-D needs but I wouldn’t want to reinvent the wheel if there are track planning software available that meet my needs.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Scarm has flex track I think.   and you can create your own switches.    I found it hard to learn, but I do not know CAD.  If you know CAD it might work good for you.   

On the other hand, if have access to Autocad for private use, You could  just do that.    Plan just using the center lines.   At any clearance points, allow 2 inches on either side of the center and you will have plenty of clearance.

When I originally started, I was in 3-rail and built a traditional "platform" and loop layout.    I started building some kit cars and scratchbuilt buildings and got it pretty well toward "finished".    Then it occurred to me, "what now?"     I read some articles on operations, and that lead me to build my next layout with Gargraves 3 rail track, but as a single track branch line.   It did have a loop but I seldom used it.    I had about 1 dozen scale cars by then and about 6-8 industries and an "interchange" at one end.   I found it took about half an hour to pick up 6 or so cars at the interchange and work the industries to the end of the line, and another half hour to take the train back and set off the cars I picked up.    I was hooked and have expanded operation since then and moved to 2 rail eventually too, when I met some guys that taught me that I could handlay track and other guys did it.

My current layout has about 45 industries and 250 freight cars used in the operating scheme.    But it is still fun to run a local by myself with a dozne cars or so.   a full operating session employs 8 operators.

I used 3rd PlanIt. It worked out great for me. They had many turnouts in the system as I recall, including the Old Pullman line with curved turnouts. PlanIt had the ability to export the file as a dxf or dwg file which allowed me to get my plywood cnc routed. I also had my layout centerlines printed out at a local printer service bureau on 25' long by 3' wide sheets which were then transfered by tracing paper onto the plywood.

Last edited by christopher N&W

Naveen,

The flex tool in SCARM would work for the track, substituting Atlas O 2-rail and cutting 10" off to mimic Micro engineering's 30" pieces. there are only small gauge Mico Eng tracks in the library.

The Ross Custom Switch Library has the same numbered switches for 3-rail as Signature switch 4, 6 8 10. I couldn't find any specifications on the length and dimensions of the Signature switches. So, there could be a difference that would prohibit the use of those.

Mixy could add those libraries if the companies would share the details.

Obviously, SCARM is not as robust as 3rd PlanIt, but takes a lot of the track and object creation out of the equation, thereby saving time.

The biggest weakness now is the lack of an easement or transition track tool.

He has been spending a lot of time finishing the 2D and 3D simulation feature.

I didn't see Atlas O in 3rd PlanIt libraries. Your just putting down track and specifying gauge.

Last edited by Moonman
Moonman posted:

Naveen,

... SCARM ...

The biggest weakness now is the lack of an easement or transition track tool...   

It's a simple matter to specify sections of varying curve radii with flex track to create acceptable easements, with the "toolbox" function. Spiral easements like real railroads use are overkill for model railroad purposes.

With SCARM you can create turnouts with customized dimensions simply by overlaying sections of straight and curve tracks - again using the toolbox function for flex-track.

Last edited by Ace

"I used 3rd PlanIt. It worked out great for me. They had many turnouts in the system as I recall, including the Old Pullman line with curved turnouts. PlanIt had the ability to export the file as a dxf or dwg file which allowed me to get my plywood cnc routed. I also had my layout centerlines printed out at a local printer service bureau on 25' long by 3' wide sheets which were then transfered by tracing paper onto the plywood"

---------------------------

Chris, you always do things so professionally, it's easy to see why your layout is so outstanding. Great information.

Butch

I also used 3rdPlanit in designing my railroad, in part thanks to input from Chris and another prominent DC area model railroader.  The best part of using a full feature planning tool is the ability to do iterative design with minimal rework.    If you are avoiding the sectional track look, select a tool that provides the ability to create easements  and curved turnouts.  After finalizing the track plan I used the software to draw a bench work "layer" with the curved benchwork edges, framing, and plywood sub roadbed defined in detail.  During construction the drawing gave me exact lengths and end angles of all the cross members.  When placing risers on grades the plan provided the height of the subroadbed at each crossmember, assuring a uniform grade over long distances.  

If you are a decent CAD designer I would definitely go that way.  I designed my layout in AutoCAD LT which precluded having to learn a new program. I drew up the turnouts I would need and saved them as groups, and mirrored them for left or right handed directions. You could do the same with sectional track, I am handlaying so it wasn't so crucial for me. I hate learning curves on new software but that is me...

Chris

Guys,

Thank you for your advice. I am looking into each of your suggestions right now. 3rd PlanIt looks interesting. I glanced over their user manual & their menus / tool kits seem similar to the menus inside AutoCAD which I have been using since 1997. Would I be correct in assuming that 3rd PlanIt has preloaded libraries with 2-rail switches & track?

I could create most of the curved or straight track examples I have seen easily in AutoCAD but what about the turnout dimensions? Are there any standards like NMRA or books that have these dimensions to assist with planning a layout? I found Caltrain standards online but their minimum turnout seems to be No.8, nothing below that.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

Naveen,

The OP turnouts were all in the 3rd PlanIt program. I did not make any in the program on my own. They were easy to use in the program. That was 15 years ago so it would be good to ask PlanIt if they still have those in the program. At that time, I called PlanIt a few times with questions, and it was the owner I spoke with directly.

Butch, Thanks for the comments. As Ed mentioned, I was lucky to see a member of our local group take the PlanIt-CNC approach before I did. It really was a timesaver.

Last edited by christopher N&W

Actually, you might want to consider using RR-Track with the Ross 3-rail library. Reason is that Ross has #4, #6, #8, and #10 turnouts to proper dimensions and several crossings, you have fixed radius up to 64" (o-128, plus custom radii), and when you do a 1:1 print, you have a centerline to align your ballast board. I'm assisting a 2-rail colleague right now and we're using the Ross library for the planning. Sometimes that third rail actually comes in handy.

naveenrajan posted:

Recently my wife agreed to let me have the perimeter of my basement, measuring 34’ X 13’ for a train layout & I would like to build my first 2-rail layout. Do other members on this forum have recommendations for track-laying software that allows the use of flex-track & is not restricted to Atlas-O tracks with just 3-5 turnout options? I have been following the “Track Planning Software” thread on the Hi-Rail forum & here is what I have understood so far.

SCRAM, is very popular, maybe because it is free & they have 2-rail Atlas track library, last updated in 2011.

RR-Track, costs $69, for the bundle that includes 2-rail Atlas.

Railmodeller Pro, which won’t work for me as they are only available for Apple products

Most of these packages seem to focus on sectional tracks. But I have read about 2-rail hobbyists using flex-track from Micro Engineering or switches from Signature Switch Company on these forums. I have also read about some who handrail their tracks. How are these layouts planned?

I am proficient in CAD & I have access to AutoCAD for 2-D needs or CREO / Pro-Engineer for 3-D needs but I wouldn’t want to reinvent the wheel if there are track planning software available that meet my needs.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

I use  RR-Track, I am a 2 railer but I design with the atlas 3 rail library as you can use switches from the other included libraries and you can create custom curves for example my outer main is 99.25 inch Radius, The only issue you may need to adjust for is Atlaso is designed for 4 1/2" track centers I use 4" track centers. I scratch build most of my switches and I have had really large curved switches built by Brad at signature switch company. My layout is currently being re done with a new design. It is also modular so I can remove parts of the layout and go to train shows with our club. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.