Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Matt,

Our we no longer have our layout near downtown Dallas in the Southside On Lamar building. But we do have 12 x 40 foot sectional layout that we set up four times a year at shows in the DFW area. We are looking for new members. Anyone with an interest in O scale is welcome. Check us out at DFW O Scalers on Facebook. I met a nice O scale guy from Houston on Saturday that came up to the Plano show. So there must be a few of them. You should come up to the South West O Scale Meet in Fort Worth in the fall. It is a good show.

Nortonville Phil posted:

Matt,

Our we no longer have our layout near downtown Dallas in the Southside On Lamar building. But we do have 12 x 40 foot sectional layout that we set up four times a year at shows in the DFW area. We are looking for new members. Anyone with an interest in O scale is welcome. Check us out at DFW O Scalers on Facebook. I met a nice O scale guy from Houston on Saturday that came up to the Plano show. So there must be a few of them. You should come up to the South West O Scale Meet in Fort Worth in the fall. It is a good show.

When I was looking at moving to Houston, went to the regional train show (Greater Houston Train Show) in Stafford in 2015. Wasn't a bad show, but I was one of two O scalers there (the other was On30). The #1 gauge club is building something at the railroad museum nearby which I'll hopefully get to see. Still thinking of retiring to either Houston or Dallas.

Last edited by AGHRMatt

Hi Matt,

That train show in Stafford that you attended is probably the best “modelers” show in the Houston area (it will be held again in about a month).   Yes, in some respects, it is surprising when you think about the size of Houston being the fourth largest city in the county but being so low as far as the O scale populous goes.  However, it appears that O scale is definitely much leaner all across the south, which I attribute much of it to a lack of basements.  Houston does have a relatively higher level of disposable income due to the higher paying jobs associated with the energy sector so I think affordability of O scale would not be an issue, just more of an issue with a lack of disposable space

I believe we have almost as many O Scalers in a much smaller population base over here in Austin as there are in all of Houston; however, sadly no 2-Rail O scale club layout in either city.   We have a loose knit 2-rail round robin club here in Austin as there are several nice 2-rail home layouts in the area that we gather at on occasion (or just meet for lunch at one of the many fine eateries in Austin).   Real-estate is much more expensive in Austin, so not sure if a formal club layout will ever be formed here but you never know, there may be a diamond in rough someplace.

Scott

Well, Matt - I might just have to make it to Angels Gate before you go - I have been looking forward to meeting you; always figured I would give you the hangar tour when you drifted south.

I guess I can see moving from LA, but Houston?  Isn't it under water now?  You couldn't get me out of San Diego if you tried, unless they close the airport to Piper Cubs.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.