Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Farmer Bill - Thanks for posting!  Nihongo ga wakarimasuka?  Do you understand Japanese?  In the event that you don't and for other's, the title of the video is "Odakyu LSE (Luxury Super Express) 7000 Series close miss photography.  The gentlemen discusses briefly the history of this train, one of the Odakyu "Romance Car" trainsets, with observation seats at the ends, that runs from Shinjuku in Tokyo to the resort area of Hakone Yumoto, and then goes on to show some close encounters at Yoyogi Hachiman station.  It's great to ride in the front and get a head-on view!

Great, thanks for posting and for the ensuing explanation!

2 sets of 11 cars end observation "romance car" from Odakyu will be donated to Nagano electric railway on 12 August, Nagano electric railway will be converting the 22 cars into set of 4 cars.

The 10000 class end observation "romance car" was built between 1987 and 1988 for Odakyu railway in Tokyo, total 44 were built, recently supersede by newer generation of romance car. Nagano electric railway operate route of 57.6km of rail track around Nagano, and has the oldest running express train EMU in Japan(circa 1961).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8938550@N03/7260956358/

Prairie

That was a very enjoyable video, thank you [ and I normally don't watch videos ].

Here are two photographs taken in '71 of the initial predecessors of the LSE, the SE and NSE respectively.  I had remembered the "S" standing for "Streamlined" -- but it's been forty years....   The NSE was then "New Streamlined Express".

And it's fascinating that some of the LSE sets are going to the Nagano, which was and is my ATF "classic interurban".  I've also included two shots taken in '72 of that road, back in the day when they had through running from JNR as well as freight service.  A freight is shown arriving at Suzuka, with one of the older cars at right.  The last photo of car number 2 was their newest class, called "OS" -- for "Office - School" !

Best regards, SZ 

Japan068_edited-1

Japan069_edited-1

Japan070_edited-1

Japan071_edited-3

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Japan068_edited-1
  • Japan069_edited-1
  • Japan070_edited-1
  • Japan071_edited-3
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653