Skip to main content

Hi all. I know there were a few companies that made these in 2 rail O scale, Sunset, Rich Yoder, NJCB, but is there one maker who stands out? I am thinking of adding 2 or 3 to my loco collection for operation, not display, so working class engines are my desire. Thanks in advance for the input.

Vince

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have an SS version and my frined has an old dual motor NJCB.    Both pretty good runners.   They are both also somewhat generic and might be phase IV for the rivet counters or RY reference.

The SS comes with weights in both hoods and under the floor.   It is a single motor drive.   I removed the hood weights and put an HO size decoder in it.   it will pull 12-15 cars on level with no problem.   Mine is still running in and has a little gear noise, but is very well built and runs well.   The speed is low for switching.   

I recommend it for the price I paid.   

The W&R locos are beautiful models with some nice detail. I have all three of the phases W&R produced and all run very well. I also have the NJCB 44 tonner which is  unusual in the fact that the fuel filler pipe is located in side 'skirting' at the bottom of the cab. Very few prototype 44 tonners had this feature and I have only seen one photo that of the Berwind Railway Service #76. Extra 2200 South published a very comprehensive look at the 44 tonner.

From a strictly operational standpoint, my NJ Brass 44 tonner has run many hours without complaint. I added a good deal of weight under the cab floor, so it can pull more than the prototype on flat ground. For years it was our "Christmas Tree" locomotive and went 'round and 'round for hours. Now it will be playing the role of Tidewater Southern 135 on my future layout. Chris

osw_2013_024

Attachments

Images (1)
  • osw_2013_024
Last edited by Chris Allan
Originally Posted by David Minarik:

One of those with TMCC or PS3 and sound would be a goldmine.  My Yoder 44 has been on the shelf for years because nothing will fit in it.  Sorry I know this is 2rail

Dave

Also note that the ERR parts,  that I shoe-horned into RY model in the video are no longer available.  Mike

I'm not sure another 44 tonner is a worthy project. Yoder has his inventory forever and there still common on eBay. Diesel wise us 2 rail guys are probably more interested in an early Alco...S1-S4 for example. But what will sell is still a crap shoot no doubt. Appreciate your interest as always.

Bob

Originally Posted by sdmann:

How about a 3rd Rail Diecast 44 Toner in 2R or 3R? What Phase? Features? Roads?

Scott Mann

Scott, early post war styling will cover the most interesting railroads.  The Catapiller D-17000 engine has an interesting sound which changes with the speed, if you can hear it over all the rattles. You do not have much space to work with, which will probably limit what you can put in it.  As for road names, there are so many to chose from, so how about NYO&W, SNRy (black with orange stripes and aluminum with orange wings), SP, ATSF, PE, P&SR, CCT, TS, VE, SLG&W, and Bamberger.

In order to put DCC in my Sunset 44 ton engine, I choose a LokSound Select decoder because: 1) it fit, 2) it has the correct sound set. It is an extremely tight fit with a small ¾" x 1¼" speaker. I had to modify one of the hood weights to get the speaker in. I do not think a TMCC system will fit unless the board is redesigned much smaller, a weight is left out, or the drive system is changed.

The RY models would accept the Electric RR drive board with an R2LC board in the fuel tank area.  It may have been designed that way.
Note the custom cuts to increase the wire access.

R2LC board installed.

Fuel tank re-installed.

To get the Electric RR sound board in I had to remove two large capacitors and install them remote in one end of the hood.  The board just fits, allowing room for the motor swing.
Capacitors remote location.

Sound board installed, note where the capacitors have been removed and relocated. Large circles on the green board with hash marks.

Speaker in the other hood end.

Electro-couplers, part of Atlas articulated couplers.

I had used the existing RY board to operate the LED head lights but the board failed and I hooked the LED's to the Electric RR board in series with a 1000 ohm resistor (each).
RY board that was removed. Bottom of picture, board has white foam sticky back material.

Antenna is still an issue, a coil wire on one walkway, works well.

I also added an engineer, should have added glass to the windows, and covered the Atlas couplers with an Atlas part used with the SW9 couplers.

IMO, a wonderful, challenging project.   Should be interesting to see Sunsets 3rdRail's production model.  At the time there were a few TAS upgrades to TMCC, I don't know if they attempted sound.  The ERR sound board is poor at best. The horn is O.K. Mike  

Last edited by Mike CT

Scott,

A 44 tonner would be great (assuming your usual choice of either 2 or 3 rail versions). Road name? The PRR was  the largest single purchaser (over 40) of them; so that plus unpainted works for me. Features? TMCC with Electro-couplers, sound if the correct Cat D-17000 sound can be had, otherwise just a horn and bell. Pulling power? Enough to pull 5 or 6 scale weighted cars on a level surface - as a kid a real one ran near my house and couldn't even handle that many on a grade! Brass or plastic? whichever keeps the cost down. Really appreciate your interest as i've been asking for one for over a decade at all the shows -- the Lion & Mike only give lip service; Joe at Weaver says categorically "no" while Gary at Weaver says "maybe" if the electronics can be made to fit; Atlas said "mmmm...interesting" i almost bought a Yoder one, but finances at the time precluded that, and 3 rail versions seldom show up on EBay (no more than 3 times a year) and then fetch more than the original selling price.

jackson

Realistically, a 44-tonner for the 2-rail market would probably be a dud.   this is a 2-rail thread after all.  

The cost to do diecast or injection molded would require a huge number of sales.    Against that there are lots of brass ones available.   It seems every show I go to there are 2-3 on various tables.   NJCB and SS made a generic phase 4 version which are frequently found.     Yoder made 3-4 versions I think.    The SS was made in 3 rail I think and I think also the yoder versions could be had in 3 rail.    It would seem with so many available at shows for sale, manufacturing another one would be a bad business decision.   And besides, the brass ones have better detail than the diecast or molded.    You just can't get thin sides with castings.   

I think an importer would do better with other rare critters or maybe some FMs like the H-20-44 which has only been made once and is never seen at shows for sale.

I am thinking, a new shorty coil coupler design, ERR electronics, A $599 price tag, diecast (heavy) body, new gearbox design (with coil coupler integrated).

I never made 44 toners for 3 Rail.

If I can sell 500 in 2R and 3R combined, it would make sense.

I am willing to float it.

In recent years its been easy to find 44 tonners on O scale show tables at prices well below $599.  (I've owned Sunset and Yoder 44 tonners).  I'd expect 2 rail reservations for a die cast 44 tonner would be disappointing - well below Sunset 3rd Rail's/GGD usual 2-rail/3 rail split. 

That said - there may be sufficient 3 rail demand to make the numbers work.  Scott - why not float your idea on the 3 rail side of the forum and talk with potential customers at York to gauge the depth of the market.   

Ed Rappe

As I mentioned earlier, I have a recent SS import in brass.   It pulls 12-15 cars with no problem.    And I have removed over half the lead weight.    that seems sufficient for a "small" switcher.

I agree keystoned that the 2 rail reservations might be pretty slim for the same reasons.

As for the detail of diecast, certainly the surface detail is very well done.   but I have looked a number of newer diecast and plastic units and the window/windsheild edges are too thick.    As of the tops of the coal boards on steam engines.    I don't think you can cast .030 inch think sheets which is probably about what the those sides should be.

Of course this is all opinion and we don't have to agree.   We have our preferences and that is the nice thing about an open market.   We can buy it if we like it or not if we don't. 

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.