Skip to main content

Hello Everyone. I bought a postwar Lionel 736 locomotive at the Nashville Christmas show just a few weeks ago. I bought new brushes for it at the show, and went home to clean the motor and install the new brushes. It ran great, but I immediately noticed that the right side eccentric crank sleeve was missing. I ordered one and attempted to install it today, but the right side valve gear assembly is binding, and the screw that goes through the eccentric pin and sleeve will not stay tight, it immediately starts to loosen itself when I run the locomotive. Also, the crosshead hits the front part of the valve assembly, I think this is the root of the screw getting loose.  Does this rod assembly need to be quartered, just like the wheels? I have tried several different positions for the valve gear to be in while the locomotive runs, but nothing works so far. I can even spin the wheels by hand, and the screw works its way loose pretty quick.

I would appreciate any guidance that you folks could give me.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you for your advice. I finally studied the piece long enough to figure out what was wrong. The crosshead guide sheet metal piece was bent down on the right side, which allowed the crosshead to contact the valve assembly. This constant contact was causing the eccentric crank screw to remain loose. I carefully straightened the bent parts on the right with needle nose pliers, and now quartering is no problem. I can run it for 30 minutes, and the crank screw remains tight. The locomotive runs great by itself at 8.5 volts, and pulls an 8 car train at 10.5 volts.

All that it needed was a little tinkering, and I got a great deal on it in Nashville.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.