Skip to main content

I had posted pictures of my 97 Coal Elevator some time ago, but due to Photobucket change in policy my old post pictures are now gone,  so here I post them again.

Back in May 2011 -  I picked up an old 97 Coal Elevator from Mizell Trains in Denver which is now gone.  ( Mizell Trains was a great Hobby Shop )  The 97 Coal Elevator was well used and a little dinged up but the motor and the tray coil and the unload coil worked fine.  I cleaned her up, straightened the bent metal as best I could and gave her a new paint job.

The 394 Beacon I also picked that up at Mizell Trains, cleaned it up and gave it a paint job.  I have since picked up a replacement for  the red-green top.

IMG_1281

I custom built a uncouple / control rail section of track from a old 6019 Remote Control Track that I took apart. This allows a car to be switched and uncoupled to the unload position and then the car can be unloaded into the tray.

IMG_1279

I then decided to kitbash the 97 to make her look less toy like.

IMG_1664IMG_1659

The safety cage ladders are Plastruct.  The bottom of the ladders are set into two small holes drilled into the wood.  The top of the ladders are secured to the catwalk by magnets, so they can be easly removed.  The stairs are also Plastruct, but the handrails are thin balsa.  The top of the stairs landing platform and the catwalks are a mix of Evergreen Styrene pieces.  The decking for the catwalks is a plastic mesh used for Cross-stitch.

IMG_1660IMG_1661

A cheap HO scale tank car for added detail.

IMG_1662

The corrugated metal roof is painted corrugated bass wood sheet.   The area under the tower legs I glued sand to a square of cardboard cut to fit the space.

IMG_1663

Nothing is glued to the original metal of the 97,  so it can all be removed ( with some difficulty ) to get back to the original

IMG_1665

The Bakelite Base I countersunk into the 1/2 inch thick Celotex  ( Homasote ) that is over 1/2 inch plywood.  I ran the wiring through the plywood to the underside of the layout.  The 2 wires for the unload coil up in the upper portion of the Elevator I ran through 3/16 styrene tube that I hid in the inside of the tower support leg.  You can see the tube in the above photo, back left leg.

IMG_1666

Here is the underside of the 97.  Note the terminal strips I added for wiring.  You can see the countersink into the Celotex.

IMG_1667

Terminal strip on the under side of the layout.  The 2 wires on the left are for the control rails to unload the Lionel Dump Car.  The 3 wires on the right are for the 97 motor functions, which I have connected to a 9.6 volt DC power supply.  ( An old Radio Shack wall plug type power supply for an old answering machine or cordless phone )  The black flex tube goes to my hand held controller.  See below.

IMG_1285

When I bought my 97 there was no controller, so I made one.  I took apart a controller for a UCS Track and re-wired the 2 push buttons.  The left button for the upper unload coil, the right button for the bucket conveyor + tray coil.  The doorbell button is for the control rails in the track to unload the Lionel Dump Car.

IMG_1717

I mounted my controller to the front of my layout with a hing.

See my other post on my update of Landscape work on North Loop.

Steve

Attachments

Images (13)
  • IMG_1281
  • IMG_1279
  • IMG_1664
  • IMG_1659
  • IMG_1660
  • IMG_1661
  • IMG_1662
  • IMG_1663
  • IMG_1665