Skip to main content

Hello all ..

Leonard Blum attorney and model train enthusiast, collector and dealer in Cleveland offered a PRR M1A kit or RTR in O scale , earliest ad MR January 1949. Boiler is a one piece casting in aluminum, chassis bronze , big K&D #4 motor , cast aluminum tender . The engine is on the big side of 1/4" and it towers over the Scale Railways model from the late 30's. It's bell it so tall ...had to do a bit of modification under the bridge ...so tallest thing that has run in the layout .. it seems to be happy running slowly ..growling away as she goes ...it will also go like a bat out of **** .. and growl louder ... please see link for action packed video footage .

Blum did some importing later both in O and HO gauges ....Blum was a major O scale dealer of some very fine pieces over the years based on his ads . The M1A was expensive at the time .... may account for the lack of abundance of them today.
Cheers Carey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFtTu6j_Ps

Jan 1949 MR ad with M1 locoloco 2019tendercompared to Scale Railway models

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Jan 1949 MR ad with M1 loco
  • loco 2019
  • tender
  • compared to Scale Railway models
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Love it Carey. I watched the video ( YouTube ) loved that to. I saw one on  the bay, that I should have grabbed a bit ago. The Craftsman mag did a story on Blum and this loco, as I remember they said this was a hard loco to do as a kit, and best left to the experanced modeler, and the mech wasn't the best. But yours seems to run great. Thanks for sharing     cTr....( Choose the Right )

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.