Skip to main content

These are SD40-2 NS diesels. Both batteries read in the upper 8 volt range. Using my Z controller > start up 2 clanks,lights,sounds,forward, neutral and reverse all work. One engine has residual shut down sounds and one has none.

Should i be concerned?

Last edited by willygee
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Willy,

If you're measuring the battery with a volt meter, you aren't getting an accurate reading. Unless there's a load on the battery, such as would be applied by a battery tester, all the meter can read is the battery's surface charge.

The best test for a battery in a PS1 (or PS2) engine in conventional mode is whether or not it can get out of neutral, since it needs the battery to do so. If the engines will both go forward and reverse, their batteries are good  enough.

Willy,

Each PS1 engine has a charging circuit that will charge either NiCad or NiMH 8.4 volt batteries. However, the PS1 charging circuit is lousy by design. PS2 charging circuits are much better.

You can also buy an MTH charger that will charge either type of battery, as well as 2.4 volt batteries for PS2 3 volt engines.

Regardless, if the batteries in your PS1 engines are MTH-labled, and are white or silver, you should immediately replace them with new, fresh NiMH batteries or with BCRs. A weak battery can cause issues with PS1 (not PS2) boards, necessitating a repair.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

Most of the PS1 engines had a charging circuit built into them. I believe the very early ones did not, but I'm not 100% sure. The procedure was to leave the locomotives parked on a track with 18 volts on it overnight (8-10 hours). I used to drive the wife nuts by charging a bunch of locomotives in the den overnight, then deny hearing anything when some of them started the cab chatter. Lots of fun until she got up and went into the den.

The engine we are talking about is a ps 1 diesel and the ram can get scrambled when the battery voltage is to low from not be charged enough or a defective battery!

The best thing to do with the old PS 1 boards is replace the old battery with a new BCR which is a super capacitor and then reset your engine with the z4000 transformer and your engine will work again ok. I have four older engines and I have put BCR's in all of them and have not had any other issues. You just have to let them charge at 10 to 12 volts after power up  approximately 1 minute charge time, then run your engine as usual>

Alan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.