Skip to main content

Dear friends,

First of all I wish you a happy 2018!

I'm coming up with an other basic question. What are my 2-rail track options regarding  manufacturers? I am not going into Proto:48, that's what I already found out. I guess I will end up with standard Atlas code 148 rail but is there a way to have lower rail for sidings or terminals?

Since I am very much in a learning stage and with no experience of handlaying turnouts, what would you recommend? I found Oscale Turnouts Inc. on Ebay, that might be just the right thing for me. Please advice. 

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me.

Kind regards,
Sarah Griessenboeck

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Happy New Year to you as well Sarah. As Greg noted, Micro Mark carries O scale Micro Engineering Flex track is various rail sizes ( Code 148, 125, &100 ) so your able to purchase whatever sizes you want for sidings, etc.

Adapting one size to another will require a little careful use of rail joiners, but many people have done this.

The turnouts you found on eBay are also an excellent product. They are superior to Atlas in every way....slightly more costly though. Good luck.

Bob

There is another.  His name is Pete Mottershead and he's been building these things for years.

Just like the others, mentioned above, he can build whatever you need.  What I like is the way he spikes the rail to wood ties.  No glue or solder.  Ultimately, all three do great work and you have to decide,  By the way, building your own turnouts isn't that tough.

I will provide a link to his website but keep in mind, he's just getting started with it.  All of this may be deleted because he's not a sponsor on this website.  One thing to note, he's developing a series of articles on laying your own turnouts.  Just like his website, it's a work in progress.  The final edition hasn't been published yet.

http://specialtytrackservices.com/

Jay

Happy New Year Sarah. I can't add much to the great advice that's already been given except my "hands on experience."

I used Atlas #5 turnouts since I got started in O Scale since about 4years ago,coming from 30+ years in HO. They perform well,but if I had the money,I would buy O Scale Turnouts as they conform more to the prototype railroad look and I've read on this site they perform better,also,but I don't have the resources to buy those as the sale of my HO Trains have to fund what I buy in O Scale.

I use Atlas 148 flex track which I like. I've picked up a few sections of Old Pullman flex and it looks good. I'm considering buying some Micro Engineering for sidings myself. I will buy from Caboose Hobbies or Micro Mark.

What era are you considering modeling? Steam,Diesel,or Transition Era? I model the Diesel era,mostly modeling from the 1980s  to present. 

I'm using MTH Diesels so far with decent results. 

Hope this helps.

Al Hummel

Atlas, Microengineering, and Peco (which I think has European features). Atlas bends easily, ME is stiffer, ME weathered (I am told) is really stiff. Never owned or have heard much about Peco, but am guessing someone on here has. Atlas flex and ME flex are compatible. There is older stuff around. I would stick to nickle silver composition and avoid stuff that has been plated. I am guessing if you search you will find OTHER topics on track! Good Luck!

Simon

PS: You can always hand lay your own with components from someone like 'Right O Way'

Haha, salty rails might rust.

Thank you so much for all the advice above!

Now I really have something to work on. I plan to get a couple of samples of track and switches over the winter months and then determine my principal "measurements" by testing stuff. Maximum grade, minimum curvature and turnouts with my 4-12-2 dictating a great deal of standards, I guess. 

Thanks for all the links and videos. I really appreciate your ideas and thoughts!

@Alan Hummel – You might already know now what I'm doing. Like most people from abroad I simply got fascinated by the Union Pacific. The simple fact that stuff is so big overwhelmed me. But picking a prototype brings so many restrictions that I carefully thought about it for a long time. The UP had such a wide variety of rolling stock on it's roster, that really brought the decision. And then I discovered the Colorado & Southern RR that sat also at Cheyenne and I got fascinated by the charm of that little road with it's distinctive steam engines on single track that I plan to incorporate the C&S as well.

So I got a lot to do, I guess. Since I'm in my fourties, I might see a finished layout someday. But I have a lot of fun getting there, so far.

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

I think my video below will help you a lot.  If you want lower rail for sidings, I would look at Peco Code 124.  It can be ordered from England (Peco is a British co.) from stores below (Walthers' stock is spotty 552-2001).  Tie spacing (on centers) is a little greater for UK track, as an FYI.  For turnouts, I agree with Signature Switch or O Scale Turn. - they are great.  I like the Micro Eng. flex better than Atlas - holds its shape after you bend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E415NxTosJE

Stores:

* Hattons    http://www.hattons.co.uk/

* Gaugemaster    http://www.gaugemaster.com/index.html

Part numbers:

Code 124 Flex:  SL-700BH    (can buy 1 piece at a time)

40.5" radius curve:   ST-725

Metal joiner:   SL-10;   Insulated   SL-11

Peco catalog:  CAT-3;       https://www.peco-uk.com/    to see the turnouts

Peco quality is best in class, as most HO modelers would agree.

I was playing with a piece of the Micro Engineering track last year, seeing how it bends. I remember just moving the ties and the track formed a curve. I bet a lot try to force the track into a curve?

The Atlas track bends very easily. The trick is to form the curve naturally and nail it down to hold it. I was told the ballast will also hold it.

Last edited by Engineer-Joe
SIRT posted:

What 2r track should I use to model this scene? Atlas O flex?

Steves final 4

Hi Steve. I love that photo.

Don Smith ("Industrial Models") did some impressive street trackage using spackling compound and a fine drywall saw to cut the flangeways. I E-mailed him a couple of years ago and got some info on the specifics. I'll dig it up if you're interested. He's also a master modeler when it comes to buildings, weathering, and scenery -- it's scary. Yes, this is a photo of the street-running section of his layout.

19424116_1946581452226812_7146910364798127603_n

Scary modeling example:

1322 [6)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 19424116_1946581452226812_7146910364798127603_n
  • 1322 (6)
Last edited by AGHRMatt
j2morris posted:

Lenz O has some great turnouts (including curved) and double cross overs that match Atlas track almost perfectly.

I've always maintained that somewhere in the past I read that Atlas track is Lenz patterned.

And given it's European turnout measurement and (at least the last time I checked) flex track that has tie plates fastened with lag bolts in the corners) it is based more upon European track than US track. 

Thus I prefer Protocraft/Micro Engineering with handlaid Right-o-Way components for accuracy.

Accurate RTR track is the weakest link in 2 rail O scale.

SIRT posted:

Thanks Matt. I have all of Dons older layout industrial section photos. Looks like that would be messy, heavy and time consuming method to do.

I plan on using heavy card stock. Better control, clean, quick, light and easy. Thinking about the 2r-3r hybrid industrial modules again that's never been done before. Have a few more buildings to make plus the one above in Brooklyn to copy. I have to do something with the other 3 buildings below that I built years ago or sell everything at this point.

It will be an experiment to try out. Might work, might not?

We shall see.

Just bought this to get re-inspired - https://youtu.be/mfBtQtJiSn0  

I’ve thought about a Hybrid 2/3RS layout, where the main lines would be 2-Rail with a center N Scale rail. And then all of the sidings would be 2-rail and just make sure the power never leaves the main when dropping and picking up cars. 

Or just use the 3RS track concept in visual areas and all the cross overs and staging would be hidden. 

Just my 2¢. 

AGHRMatt posted:
SIRT posted:

What 2r track should I use to model this scene? Atlas O flex?

Steves final 4

Hi Steve. I love that photo.

Don Smith ("Industrial Models") did some impressive street trackage using spackling compound and a fine drywall saw to cut the flangeways. I E-mailed him a couple of years ago and got some info on the specifics. I'll dig it up if you're interested. He's also a master modeler when it comes to buildings, weathering, and scenery -- it's scary. Yes, this is a photo of the street-running section of his layout.

19424116_1946581452226812_7146910364798127603_n

Scary modeling example:

1322 [6)

What happened to Don? Haven't seen his models for a long time. Don, please come back.

Dick

Rule292 posted:
j2morris posted:

Lenz O has some great turnouts (including curved) and double cross overs that match Atlas track almost perfectly.

I've always maintained that somewhere in the past I read that Atlas track is Lenz patterned.

And given it's European turnout measurement and (at least the last time I checked) flex track that has tie plates fastened with lag bolts in the corners) it is based more upon European track than US track. 

Thus I prefer Protocraft/Micro Engineering with handlaid Right-o-Way components for accuracy.

Accurate RTR track is the weakest link in 2 rail O scale.

Rule,

I have a mix of Atlas and ME, and use the ME for straight (tangent for you nitpickers ) and Atlas for curves because it flexes so easily. Comparing the two, I see precious little difference in physical appearance.

I purchased all my track (both ME and Atlas) not long after Atlas came out with their track line. I am wondering if the newer Atlas that you say is Lenz patterned is different from the original Atlas track because of being made by a different manufacturer/manufacturers???? Any thoughts on this? It would be an interesting piece of trivia to know.

Cheers, Simon

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.