Skip to main content

Have any of you used some of these to scenic your layouts?

They are allegedly 1/48 and some are really inexpensive, even though crude.  Leaves a lot of room to kit bash, add details, etc.

Two that fascinated me, but I'll never find the room to use, are the Dutch Arnhem bridge (A Bridge Too Far) and a huge rolling bascule bridge.  If only I had the money and room.....

Some are card stock, some foam board, some a form of compressed fiber board, a few resin, etc.

I was looking for a four story hotel and found something that looks to be just what I want.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah, that scale is way smaller than O. As I understand it, 28MM is about perfect for S scale. I know a guy who built a German themed layout in O and used some of the higher-end wargame structures for it, but still like foot bridges and such where the scale wasn't obviously off.

Hmm. This is very small representation of the Arnhem bridge: http://battlefield-accessories...em-style-bridge-28mm

The real bridge was quite larger than that (the current bridge is essentially a copy of the bridge fought over in WW2, and I've driven over the 'new' one):

Last edited by p51

A good rule of thumb tool is keeping a 6" metric rule in the desk drawer or your pocket, and use British model railroad scales. OO scale at 1:76 is 4 millimetres to the foot, and S is at around 5 mm/foot. Their O scale is 7mm/foot.

Those numbers will come in handy when you're eyeballing wargame structures for the layout. A 28mm figurine is around average height for S, but probably a bit stocky. A mediaeval fair on your layout maybe?

I'm running a Marx 999 and freight set in 3/16 (S scale on O-27 trucks).  I'm looking to add more 999 and Mercury trains, all converted to double reduction gearing, and there isn't much on my toy train layout that is scale anything.  Lots of Plasticville, K-Line. tin cookie boxes, etc., some scratch structures and. so far, one Menard's quonset hut.  Cars and trucks are all over the size map and so are most figures.

This doesn't bother me because it's a toy train.  I'm 10 years old again and having a blast.

I got scale out of my system with 50 years or more of HO.

Last edited by Forty Rod

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.