Skip to main content

I just rebuilt my 342 Lionel culvert loader and have tested it out using track voltage. The vibrator motor powers the pickup device around 20V seems high. Suggestions or links to lubricating pickup device and vibrating motor to make run easier.  Adjustments to vibrator motor? I used dry graphite on the overhead travel rail. If you have something to share would appreciate? Have gotten so much support from this site! Cheers Steve

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Steverino posted:

I just rebuilt my 342 Lionel culvert loader and have tested it out using track voltage. The vibrator motor powers the pickup device around 20V seems high. Suggestions or links to lubricating pickup device and vibrating motor to make run easier.  Adjustments to vibrator motor? I used dry graphite on the overhead travel rail. If you have something to share would appreciate? Have gotten so much support from this site! Cheers Steve

You can move the steel disc in front of the electromagnet closer by bending the bracket that holds it. That will lower the operation voltage. Too close and it will hit.  Vibrotors are famous for needing tuning. A little graphite is good for all the links too.

@Steverino posted:

Where are you exactlyimage saying to bend the bracket and forward or backwards. see pic and this will require less voltage?is it the black disc behind the silver cylinder attached to metal plate

The place to bend slightly is where the 2 rivets that attach the flat spring are. You just want the disc a tiny bit closer to the magnet so it does not need as much voltage to attract it. Go too far and it will make a racket when the disc hits the magnet but you can just bend it back a bit then. Just make sure you keep the disc parallel to the magnet. 

@Steverino posted:

Are u saying the round cylinder in front of spring steel and the dark round disc is a magnet?

is this where I should bend with needle nose forward to outside? See pic

it is already noisy but may get quieter if I move closer?

The electromagnet is the silver can with the wires. When given AC current it attracts the dark round iron disc attached to the flat spring 60 times a second causing it to vibrate. That is what moves the string that drives the accessory.  You bend the silver bracket where the flat spring is attached by 2 rivets. That is how you adjust the distance between the magnet and the disc. The closer it is to the magnet the less force is need to move the disc. They work by vibration so there is really no way to quiet them down completely. If the disc is hitting the magnet they are very loud and need a lower voltage or adjustment.   It is an ingenious way to make an inexpensive AC "motor" at a time when diodes to convert AC to DC were expensive or not available but it is a bit tricky to keep running right. That is why Lionel has replaced it with little DC Motors in most remakes of postwar Lionel accessories.

Last edited by iguanaman3

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.