Skip to main content

New at this train building.

I have a u shaped Lionel Fas track 125 feet in length. Has 6 manual switches. Operating 2 Lionel Chief steam locomotives with the remotes. Each locomotive  pulling 4 empty box cars. 

Lion Chief Plus Locomotives model 6-81309,,, 4-6-2 Pacific model. 2 each

The u-shape track is 10 feet by 20 feet by 10 feet.

I would like to add a LionChief Diesel Plus FT AA model number 6-82290 with 5 passenger cars.

I have installed multiply power leads from my 80-Watt Transformer CW80 to the longest part of my track to balance the power.

My question is. Will the CW80 Watt transformer be strong enough to provide the correct amount of power? To support the 3 locomotives and the box and passenger trains.

Thanks

Bill

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You'll probably get varying responses and the CW-80 sometimes gets a lot of knocks but, IMHO, it should be sufficient.

I run about 110'  of Fastrack with two main lines; a small staging yard, Legacy, and 4 command control switches with a CW-80. Running two Legacy engines and a Lionchief NJ Central with lighted passenger cars and partially upgrade and over 20 lighted and/or operating accessories (Gateman, Miller rotating signs, Lionel playground, etc.) and have no power issues.

If it doesn't work , you'll know about it soon enough.

Bill,

So from a design perspective as far as functionality is concerned, I always try to think of scenarios which would cause the system to fail, or fault in some way.  This means you theoretically have the three engines at full throttle.  Thinking on the side of caution, budget for wattage on a smaller open frame harnessed AC motor is right around the equivalent of 15 to 25 watts of real power.  Say 25...  However, most of the newer, larger locomotives with smoke and such can average close to 50 Watts, we'll say 45. (High Side)  Conservatively, you're talking at full throttle and load applied, 150 Watts needing to be used.  While it is fairly unrealistic, sometimes this load can be pulled due to a stray impulse and cause non-linearity to have this load visible for just a few seconds.  

As an electrical engineer, I can't stress enough to plan and design for the redundant route.  Dave does make a good case here.  It will overload your transformer in the worst case, or it will ride it at full throttle all the time.  It will severely dampen the lifetime of the transformer.  Loading cycle time and complex load growth have a lasting effect on transformer lifetime.  For technical guys, here is a wonderful resource outlining transformer health www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/8/10/12147/pdf.

There is also another place to look for a short time model of overloading.

http://www.diva-portal.org/sma...11551/FULLTEXT01.pdf

It goes through different models and talks about the effects on the transformer; for those whom are interested.

I'd say, buy another CW80 to be safe, or go with a ZW which is more robust for multiple engines.  It really comes down to time and money.  Do you want to be under the layout re-wiring things, or having to shell out money for a new transformer every once in a while?  My guess is probably not. REDUNDANCY.  It's not really a question of sufficiency, but rather, a question of longevity.  When looking at a problem like this, never question whether it is sufficient.  I can rig up a 100W transformer with poor insulation and terrible build quality that varies in power output every time unexpectedly that would be sufficient, it just won't last very long.  Plan for the duration, feasibility is only the first step.

Just my opinion  Hope it helps.  Feel free to ask any questions.

James

Dave Olson posted:

I would consider upgrading your power. The CW80 may handle it for a little while, but taxing it that much will probably shorten its lifespan. Running the engines w/ smoke on will also pull a lot more power.

Upgrading to a GW180 or equivalent would be a good option.

Dave,

You mentioned possibly upgrading to the GW180 transformer.  I know the 180 brick is back on the shelves, but is the GW180 transformer currently available ?

Dave Olson posted:

The GW won't be in until later this year along with the rest of the 180 bricks. I just didn't want to suggest a ZW-L as that would be overkill for his setup. And I'm always hesitant on suggesting a PW ZW unless people are willing to beef up the circuit protection.

Dave

Dave,

You bring up an excellent point.  I always think ahead and plan for that stuff, but others sometimes do not.

Bill,

I would say if it is urgent, set up two separate 80W ones.  The 180W one you could also wait for.

James

Given that you're considering LC+ locomotives, why not just go with a nice power brick.  The Lionel PowerHouse 180 has an excellent circuit breaker and will easily support the three consists you're considering and leave room for a little expansion.  It's also around the same price as the CW-80.  No reason to pay for variable track voltage for locomotives that are designed to run on a fixed track voltage.

Right to the track.  Since it has a Molex plug, you'll have to provide the matching connector for the track connection, but they're readily available.  I use the matching Molex plug and a pair of banana connectors to plug my bricks into the MTH TIU.  For a direct track connection, you have to match the other end with whatever connecting scheme you have for track power, Fastrack, tubular lockon, etc.

The matching connector for the Lionel PowerHouse 180 is: Molex 0003092032

, link is to Digikey.  The matching pins are on the same page at the bottom.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

I run a layout of 32 feet bye 18 6 lines numerous switches each line has a cw 80 I told myself 5 years ago I'll update but I can run two legacy engines with smoke doubts in lashup under speed 120 on legacy without a problem my only advice is if your looking to run 3 engines as lash up you will need to update 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.