Skip to main content

More tips:

Visit all the buildings.  York is 4 football fields of trains.

Give some thought to your wants so if you see them you can buy them.

Locomotives with a good mechanism but a not so good (or  no) shell are hardish to find.  I've bought shells and spent time looking for mechanisms at an acceptable price.

Two "must stop" booths in the Orange Hall: the TCA Deaccession Table and the LCCA Table.

Pay with exact change when reasonable. . .the seller will appreciate it.

Some travel and hotel related tips:

Buy or bring a case of bottled water.  It'll keep you hydrated.  Add powdered drink mixes - the kind you add to 16 ounces of water - and you'll have cheap beverages.

Eat at the food trucks outside the Orange Hall.  Good food.

You can have good continental breakfast with good cookies, Maple Donuts, and tea made in your room microwave (breakfast buffet doesn't have water that's hot enough for tea).

Breakfast buffet can be very good or very bad (been there).  Coffee is always drinkable and juice is acceptable.

Make time for Strasburg/RR Museum of PA/Choo Choo Barn/TCA Museum.

The East Broad Top Railroad (EBT) is 1/2 hour north of Breezewood on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Breezewood is around 3 hours west of York.  EBT is worth a visit if you're coming from the west.

With time zone changes you lose time going east and gain time going west.  Driving from Chicago to Breezewood - for example - is pushing it for a single driver.  Driving from Breezewood to Chicago is reasonable, however.  Leave at 6:30 AM ET and arrive in Chicago at 3 PM CT.

Lots of good tips above.  I would add that you should prepare for any kind of weather -- it can even vary wildly from one day to the next.

Also, I second the comfortable shoes tip.  A few meets ago, I counted the number of tables at the meet and estimated that there were over 2400 tables of stuff for sale.  One York, before I was a table holder, I wore a pedometer and logged 10 miles on a Thursday!  York is good exercise!

Andy

Greg,

I guess if you get hammered at QSL on Thursday night, will you forget your morning coffee on your car roof?
I cancelled my La Quinta room yesterday and you might have gotten it. There is a slight up charge there securing my ex-room!
We are staying at Candlewood Suites on the east side of York. 1 bedroom suite with kitchen for $149 a night. Going out on Thursday am and staying till Saturday early afternoon.
I will see you sometime at York.
Ted (almost without his coffee left on the car roof) !!

Too funny Ted!  So the Quaker Steak and Lube after-party is now at Candlewood Suites - Got it! 

-Greg

….We are staying at Candlewood Suites on the east side of York. 1 bedroom suite with kitchen for $149 a night……

Ted, Candlewood Suites is a very nice hotel, comfortable and clean. However it’s not a direct route back to the hotel from the Fairgrounds. There is a concrete median blocking entrance to the driveway entrance. You either have to drive past the hotel on rt 30 to the next exit and circle around local streets to get back to the entrance, or turn at the corner of the hotel, go down a few blocks to the gas station and make a U turn.

Much easier leaving the hotel to the Fairgrounds but I’d stay there again.

Last edited by Traindiesel

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.