Skip to main content

Replacing the sliding contact mechanism within 022 switch tracks with a latch relay. Over the years of dealing with 022 switch tracks I have found many switches that do not snap into position because the sliding contact mechanism is either dirty or just out of alignment resulting in derailments and sluggish performance. Anybody out there interested enough in my problem to help out with the design of a new solid state improvement to avoid this problem. Thanks to anyone who can help.        

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you for your reply to my idea. My idea basically maintains all the components of the switch including the existing controllers, the sliding contact mechanism minus the electrical contacts. That is where the relay(s) come in to eliminate faulty electrical contacts. The relay(s) would be solid state in minature size so as to be placed under the cover of the switch mechanism. Any ideas on the wiring diagram would be of help. Once again thanks for your interest.
Sent from my Kyocera Rise

O Gauge Railroading On Line Forum <alerts@hoop.la> wrote:

>Reply By gunrunnerjohn: 022 switch tracks
>

Since the sliding contacts are an integral part of how the switch operates, you'll have to simulate that somehow.  I haven't given much thought to this, but I'd be thinking of perhaps an opto sensor to activate the relay.  A simple relay, even a latching one, doesn't seem that it'll solve the problem, you have to key off the switch actually changing positions.

The microswitch is key to the operation, you need something sensing position.  If you want positive control of the switch, I'd put one at each end of the travel so you could energize the coil until the operation completes.  One issue with the O22 switches is the coil voltage is removed a bit early and sometimes the switch doesn't make the full trip.

I'll post pictures of the K-Line mechanism and microswitch later when I get home from work(unless someone beats me to it).

If it can be adapted to fit within the 022 motor housing, it would be a great work-around to the sometimes finicky slides that were designed by Lionel in the mid 1930's. LTI did them a further disservice by cheapening the copper contacts to an unacceptable printed circuit design that wears out quite quickly.

Not much to diagram - the red shellacked wires are for the "thru" coil, the copper shellacked wires for the "out" coil. One end of each coil is connected to it's trigger rail and binding post, the other end to either the NC("thru") or NO("out") terminal of the snap switch. The hot(whether fixed or track voltage depending on user setting) is the yellow wire connected to the common terminal of the snap switch:

IMG_5265

IMG_5266

IMG_5267

IMG_5268

IMG_5269

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_5265
  • IMG_5266
  • IMG_5267
  • IMG_5268
  • IMG_5269

Rob, there's very low current in the coils, if you measure it you'll find only a couple of volts drop across the coils, the voltage is all dropped across the bulbs.  The microswitch will leave full current (and voltage) on the coils.  I know for a fact that will smoke them, the won't stand up to the full voltage.

I just tried one on the bench with 12V connected directly to the coil.  It wasn't long before it was VERY warm.  This is a junk switch motor, so I wasn't too worried about it's health.

Last edited by gunrunnerjohn

There is no power to the coils at all on the K-Line switches with the bulbs(including the controller) removed.

The Microswitch shuts power off to the coil(at the end of the swivel rail travel) which was grounded by a passing train on the control rail.

The other control rail has no train on it, so although the microswitch has now energized the other coil with "hot" current, there is no ground/return to complete the circuit. It's rather ingenious and simple - the switch just shuts off current to the solenoid coil as the plunger "lands" into it. In the absence of K-Line's brass "hoop" actuator, two SPST microswitches could be used - one at each end of the plunger travel.

There is no connection between the coils, they are completely isolated from each other. This is the main difference from Lionel which have a common connection where the coils are powered by the center rail or fixed voltage jack and ground/return is switched by the sliding contacts.

Last edited by ADCX Rob
Reply By Yardmaster: 022 switch tracksYardmaster:
Thank you for this information. From your point of view, does it look like a do able retrofit into the 022 switches of old??
mike1
----- Original Message -----
To: mike1
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:37 PM
Subject: Reply By Yardmaster: 022 switch tracks
Reply By gunrunnerjohn: 022 switch tracksGunrunner john:
Thank you for your valuable input into this project. I refer you to the latest input by Yardmaster. Interesting?? Your continued input is appreciated.
mike1
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:14 PM
Subject: Reply By gunrunnerjohn: 022 switch tracks
Reply By ADCX Rob: 022 switch tracksADCX Rob;
Your interest into my dilemma has been greatly appreciated. Please take note of the latest input by Yardmaster. I find it very similar to your suggestion.
mike1
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:38 PM
Subject: Reply By ADCX Rob: 022 switch tracks
Reply By gunrunnerjohn: 022 switch tracksGunrunnerjohn:
I'm wondering if Lionel may have a retro-fit kit or at least thets needed.Thanks again.
mike1
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:55 PM

You'd likely have to remove the two rivets for the slide, they're available and I have replaced several of them in the past.  Obviously, this requires the ability to rivet, but the parts are available.  The microswitches would have to be drilled & riveted or glued in place.  What would be useful is a template so you could accurately position the microswitches.

Reply By gunrunnerjohn: 022 switch tracksThe microswitches could be bought wholesale in quantities of 10 or more. The only problem might be getting the slides from Lionel. One might have to be a repair person for Lionel to get parts. W will check this one out.
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:26 PM

The cam arrangement on the brass/copper hoop is the key.

There's nothing to say a similar design cannot be fitted to the Lionel machines, whether on the base under the switch(as Lionel has done) or within the motor/solenoid housing.

I'm not sure which would be easier to adopt & adapt - a mechanical solution or a solid state solution to rejuvenate sluggish/sloppy 022's.

I was thinking rather than opto sensors or latching relays, a simple hall effect sensor array(of 2) and logic circuit would suffice.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.