Skip to main content

Hi everybody,

I am a frequent reader but not a frequent poster but I'm hoping for some thoughts and advice on my current layout project. My entire basement is dedicated to trains and I currently have a modular Lionel Fastrack 20' x 8' two loop layout but I would like to add a switching layout with the possibility to expand in the future. I also would like to have it modular in case we move.

The current area I am working on is underneath the stairway so the plan is to have a total of 4 sections each with specific size. The first one on the left is 2'x1', then 6'x2' then 5'x2' and finally 4'x1'. The area on the left is where the stairs come down, the two middle areas are under the steps and stretches back 4' however, I would like to keep the tracks within 2' for each reach. The area on the right is where the current Fastrack Layout is. I plan on using Gargraves straight track plus 2 left and 3 right #6 Ross turnouts. I have a half circle of O72 Atlas and some wider Ross sectional track to use. I do not want to purchase any additional track or turnouts because moving forward, I intend to hand lay all my track and turnouts. I really enjoyed doing that in the past in On30 and HOn3 so why not 3 rail O.

For a theme for this layout, I am thinking about this being a freelanced branch line set in the midwest. In a perfect world, I would model the Chicago Great Western from Oelwein IA to Chicago IL. Plan 1 has the main line coming in from the right, siding that can be used as a runaround, and three track off to the left, with the bottom track being the main, the middle being an interchange and the top would be a lead for the industry. Plan 2 has the main coming in from the right, siding and runaround and instead of a interchange, two tracks for an industry.

If anybody has any thoughts, I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.

CMSt&P

Attachments

Images (2)
  • O Scale Switching 1
  • O Scale Switching 2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a switching layout incorporating a car float as the source for traffic and an industrial area reached by some street running.  The industrial area is a Timesaver.  You can have both a ferry and mainline providing traffic for transfer between the two and for local industries.  I've shown the ferry within the 2' width, but it can be separate from the layout.

Jan

Small 10x10 Timesaver v2

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Small 10x10 Timesaver v2

Obviously it is different strokes for different folks but personally I don't like switchback sidings. I've tried a couple iterations and for me it is too much puzzle and not enough railroading. I found myself focusing on the move-the-empty-hole game and losing sight of the idea of a real train spotting cars at customer's businesses. The PER is a switching Pike which operates well with just four track switches.

The East End has two switches and three stub-sidings forming a modified Inglenooks switching puzzle. There are four [customer] car spots and room for several more cars:

IMG_1314

Depending on the particular pick-ups and set-outs it can take 30 min real time to do the work here.

The West End has a single longer siding with spots for four cars and storage for two more:

IMG_1313

Drilling cars into the required order at the Paint Factory can get interesting, requiring some thought to minimize the number of moves.

These two pics show the relationship between the East End and West End:

IMG_1464

IMG_1463

The fiddle yard Interchange  where trains are broken down and put together is in an adjacent room:

IMG_1325

If I had more space it would be devoted to a small (4 track) Interchange yard which would add another full operating scenario.

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_1314
  • IMG_1313
  • IMG_1464
  • IMG_1463
  • IMG_1325

The “puzzle” will get old quick, come up with a plan that has a purpose taking cars from A to B

I agree not because I have ever ran trains on a Timesaver based layout, but I have read in a couple different places that it is a great game but not a usable switching layout.  Do a search on the forum for switching layouts and some should pop up.

Thank you for the feedback.   I have an additional plan that gets rid of the runaround track and is more like an expanded Inglenook. My thought is the bottom track would be an interchange, The middle track is the main line and then the rest as sidings. In the future, I hope to expand the layout off both ends with the right end going to a balloon track with something like a coal mine or power plant and the left side extending to staging plus more layout.

I kind of like the idea of having the ability to use the layout for a puzzle game in addition to more prototypical operations. If I used something like the Inglenook or Timesaver but just made the sidings longer and used fewer cars, I wouldn't think it would be as frustrating. Lets say that I would make a plan that has is Inglenook like but the lead track it longer. For regular operations, I could use all of the track but if I feel like switching the puzzle, I could include a road crossing at the distance from the turnout that would be correct for the proper Inglenook puzzle. When playing the game, the locomotive can not go passed the crossing.

I really like the Cleveland Flats and Fort Smith Railroad plans so I am hoping to create something similar but use one additional turnout.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • O Scale Switching 5

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.